Sodium Bicarbonate tablets
What is this medicine?
SODIUM BICARBONATE (SOE dee um; bye KAR bon ate) is an antacid. It is used to treat acid indigestion and heartburn caused by too much acid in the stomach.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth. Dissolve it in a glass of water before taking. Do not take tablets whole. Follow the directions on the package label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
Patients over 60 years old may have a stronger reaction and need a smaller dose.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
swelling of the feet and legs
unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
bloating and stomach gas
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
antibiotics like ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, tetracycline
aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
ephedra, Ma Huang
stimulants like amphetamine, dexmethylphenidate, and others
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
low levels of calcium or potassium in the blood
low salt or sodium diet
an unusual or allergic reaction to sodium bicarbonate, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. Do not take this medicine for more than 2 weeks unless your doctor directs you to. See your doctor if your symptoms return. You may have a serious medical condition.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Carbonate chewable tablets
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Carbonate oral suspension
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide; Simethicone oral suspension
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide; Simethicone tablets
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide tablets
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Trisilicate chewable tablets
- Aluminum hydroxide oral suspension
- Bismuth Subsalicylate chewable tablets
- Bismuth Subsalicylate oral liquid
- Bismuth Subsalicylate tablets
- Calcium Acetate capsules or tablets
- Calcium Acetate oral solution
- Calcium Carbonate oral suspension
- Calcium Salts oral solution
- Calcium Salts oral tablets
- Common Discomforts During Pregnancy
- Magaldrate Oral Suspension
- Magnesium Hydroxide chewable tablets
- Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Metoclopramide injection
- Metoclopramide oral disintegrating tablet
- Metoclopramide oral solution
- Metoclopramide tablets
- Omeprazole capsules (sprinkle caps) - Rx
- Omeprazole Magnesium Oral capsule, gastro-resistant
- Omeprazole suspension
- Omeprazole tablets (OTC)
- Sodium Bicarbonate granules for oral solution (Rx)
- Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate oral suspension
- Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate powder for reconstitution to suspension