Sodium Bicarbonate granules for oral solution (Rx)
What is this medicine?
SODIUM BICARBONATE (SOE dee um; bye KAR bon ate) is used to create gas in the stomach for some contrast studies of the stomach.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is taken by mouth. It is usually given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. This medicine is not approved for use in children.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
bloating and stomach gas
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
antibiotics like ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, tetracycline
aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
ephedra, Ma Huang
stimulants like amphetamine, dexmethylphenidate, and others
What if I miss a dose?
This does not apply; this medicine is not for regular use.
Where should I keep my medicine?
This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
any problems of the throat, stomach, or intestines like blockage, perforation, or surgery
low sodium diet
an unusual or allergic reaction to sodium bicarbonate, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Your condition will be monitored while you are taking this medicine.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Carbonate chewable tablets
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Carbonate oral suspension
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide; Simethicone oral suspension
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide; Simethicone tablets
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide tablets
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Trisilicate chewable tablets
- Aluminum hydroxide oral suspension
- Bismuth Subsalicylate chewable tablets
- Bismuth Subsalicylate oral liquid
- Bismuth Subsalicylate tablets
- Calcium Acetate capsules or tablets
- Calcium Acetate oral solution
- Calcium Carbonate oral suspension
- Calcium Salts oral solution
- Calcium Salts oral tablets
- Common Discomforts During Pregnancy
- Magaldrate Oral Suspension
- Magnesium Hydroxide chewable tablets
- Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Metoclopramide injection
- Metoclopramide oral disintegrating tablet
- Metoclopramide oral solution
- Metoclopramide tablets
- Omeprazole capsules (sprinkle caps) - Rx
- Omeprazole Magnesium Oral capsule, gastro-resistant
- Omeprazole suspension
- Omeprazole tablets (OTC)
- Sodium Bicarbonate tablets
- Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate oral suspension
- Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate powder for reconstitution to suspension