Senna oral solution
What is this medicine?
SENNA (SEN uh) is a laxative. This medicine is used to relieve constipation. It may also be used to empty and prepare the bowel for surgery or examination.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the product label. Shake well before using. Use a specially marked spoon or container to measure your medicine. Ask your pharmacist if you do not have one. Household spoons are not accurate. Take exactly as directed. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be prescribed for children as young as 2 years for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
bloody or black, tarry stools
unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
discolored urine (red or orange)
What may interact with this medicine?
Interactions are not expected. Do not use any other laxative products without talking to your healthcare professional.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
blockage in your bowel
inflammatory bowel disease
stomach or intestine problems
sudden change in bowel habits lasting more than 2 weeks
an unusual or allergic reaction to senna, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Do not use for more than 1 week unless otherwise directed by your doctor or health care professional.
Stop using this medicine and contact your doctor or health care professional if you have rectal bleeding or do not have a bowel movement after use. These could be signs of a more serious condition.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Constipation in Children
- Digestive and Liver Disorders Overview
- Bisacodyl suppositories
- Bisacodyl tablets and capsules
- Calcium Carbonate, Psyllium Oral capsule
- Cecostomy for Children
- Common Discomforts During Pregnancy
- Docusate capsules
- Docusate oral solution, suspension, or syrup
- Docusate rectal enema
- Docusate Sodium; Senna tablets or capsules
- Flaxseed (Linseed) oral solution
- Flaxseed Oral capsule, liquid filled
- Lactulose oral solution
- Lactulose powder for oral solution
- Lubiprostone oral capsule
- Magnesium Citrate oral solution
- Magnesium Hydroxide chewable tablets
- Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Magnesium Salts capsules or tablets, immediate release
- Magnesium Salts oral solution
- Magnesium Salts tablets, extended-release
- Magnesium Sulfate injection
- Methylcellulose capsules or tablets
- Methylcellulose granules or powder for solution
- Methylcellulose powder for suspension
- Methylnaltrexone injection
- Phosphorus Salts powder for oral solution
- Polycarbophil Chewable Tablets
- Polycarbophil Oral Tablet
- Polyethylene Glycol powder
- Potassium Phosphate oral tablets
- Potassium Phosphate solution for injection
- Psyllium Chewable bars or wafers
- Psyllium granules or powder for solution
- Psyllium oral capsule
- Senna tablets or capsules
- Tegaserod tablets