Psyllium oral capsule
What is this medicine?
PSYLLIUM (SIL i yum) is a bulk-forming fiber laxative. This medicine is used to treat constipation. Increasing fiber in the diet may also help lower cholesterol and promote heart health for some people.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the package labeling, or take as directed by your health care professional. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 12 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
Interactions are not expected. Take this product at least 2 hours before or after other medicines.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
blockage in your bowel
inflammatory bowel disease
stomach or intestine problems
sudden change in bowel habits lasting more than 2 weeks
an unusual or allergic reaction to psyllium, other medicines, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying or get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Check with your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse.
Stop using this medicine and contact your doctor or health care professional if you have rectal bleeding or if you have to treat your constipation for more than 1 week. These could be signs of a more serious condition.
Drink several glasses of water a day while you are taking this medicine. This will help to relieve constipation and prevent dehydration.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Constipation in Children
- Diarrhea in Children
- Digestive and Liver Disorders Overview
- Amlodipine; Atorvastatin oral tablets
- Atorvastatin tablets
- Atropine; Diphenoxylate oral liquid
- Atropine; Diphenoxylate tablets
- Bisacodyl suppositories
- Bisacodyl tablets and capsules
- Bismuth Subsalicylate chewable tablets
- Bismuth Subsalicylate oral liquid
- Bismuth Subsalicylate tablets
- Calcium Carbonate, Psyllium Oral capsule
- Cecostomy for Children
- Cholestyramine powder for oral suspension
- Colesevelam oral suspension
- Colesevelam tablets
- Colestipol granules for oral suspension
- Colestipol tablets
- Common Discomforts During Pregnancy
- Docusate capsules
- Docusate oral solution, suspension, or syrup
- Docusate rectal enema
- Docusate Sodium; Senna tablets or capsules
- Ezetimibe; Simvastatin tablets
- Ezetimibe Tablets
- Fenofibric Acid capsules
- Fenofibric acid tablets
- Flaxseed (Linseed) oral solution
- Flaxseed Oral capsule, liquid filled
- Fluvastatin capsules
- Fluvastatin extended-release tablets
- Garlic, Allium sativum oral dosage forms
- Gemfibrozil tablets
- Lactobacillus Oral formulations
- Lactulose oral solution
- Lactulose powder for oral solution
- Loperamide oral suspension
- Lovastatin extended-release tablets
- Lovastatin; Niacin extended-release tablets
- Lovastatin tablets
- Lubiprostone oral capsule
- Magnesium Citrate oral solution
- Magnesium Hydroxide chewable tablets
- Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Magnesium Salts capsules or tablets, immediate release
- Magnesium Salts oral solution
- Magnesium Salts tablets, extended-release
- Magnesium Sulfate injection
- Methylcellulose capsules or tablets
- Methylcellulose granules or powder for solution
- Methylcellulose powder for suspension
- Methylnaltrexone injection
- Niacin extended-release tablets or capsules
- Niacin tablets
- Niacinamide Oral tablet
- Nitazoxanide oral suspension
- Nitazoxanide tablets
- Octreotide injection solution
- Phosphorus Salts powder for oral solution
- Polycarbophil Chewable Tablets
- Polycarbophil Oral Tablet
- Polyethylene Glycol powder
- Potassium Phosphate oral tablets
- Potassium Phosphate solution for injection
- Pravastatin tablets
- Psyllium Chewable bars or wafers
- Psyllium granules or powder for solution
- Red Yeast Rice capsules
- Rifaximin tablets
- Rosuvastatin Tablets
- Senna oral solution
- Senna tablets or capsules
- Simvastatin tablets
- Tegaserod tablets
- Trimethoprim oral solution
- Trimethoprim tablets