Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
What is this medicine?
PSEUDOEPHEDRINE (soo doe e FED rin) is a decongestant. It is used to treat congestion of the nose or sinuses.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Use a specially marked spoon or container to measure each dose. Ask your pharmacist if you do not have one. Household spoons are not accurate. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 2 years old for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
Patients over 65 years old may have a stronger reaction and need a smaller dose.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
bloody diarrhea with stomach pain
confused, agitated, nervous
fast, irregular heartbeat
feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
high blood pressure
pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet
trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
loss of appetite
nausea, stomach upset
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
medicines for blood pressure
medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances like fluoxetine, sertraline
medicines for enlarged prostate
medicines for sleep
other medicines for cold, cough, or allergy
some heart medicines like metoprolol
St. John's Wort
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
This medicine may cause accidental overdose and death if taken by other adults, children, or pets. Mix any unused medicine with a substance like cat littler or coffee grounds. Then throw the medicine away in a sealed container like a sealed bag or a coffee can with a lid. Do not use the medicine after the expiration date.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 25 degrees C (59 and 77 degrees F). Protect from heat and moisture.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
high blood pressure
taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in last 14 days
trouble passing urine
an unusual or allergic reaction to pseudoephedrine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. See your doctor if you are not better in 7 days or if you have a fever.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Acetaminophen; Pseudoephedrine Oral Capsules or Tablets
- Acrivastine; Pseudoephedrine capsules
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine capsules or tablets
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine extended-release capsules or tablets
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine Oral Drops
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine oral solution
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Chlorpheniramine; Guaifenesin; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine elixir
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral ER capsule
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine Oral suspension
- Codeine; Phenylephrine; Promethazine oral solution
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral capsules or tablets
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral drops
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral ER tablets
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral suspension
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral syrup and solution
- Ephedrine injection
- Guaifenesin; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral liquid
- Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine oral solution
- Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine tablets or capsules
- Hydrocodone; Phenylephrine oral syrup
- Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
- Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine tablets
- Ibuprofen; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Ibuprofen; Pseudoephedrine tablets or caplets
- Phenylephrine chewable tablet
- Phenylephrine eye solution
- Phenylephrine injection
- Phenylephrine nasal spray
- Phenylephrine oral dissolving film
- Phenylephrine oral dissolving tablet
- Phenylephrine oral solution
- Phenylephrine oral solution, drops
- Phenylephrine oral suspension
- Phenylephrine oral tablet
- Phenylephrine; Promethazine oral syrup
- Phenylephrine rectal cream or ointment
- Phenylephrine rectal suppository
- Pseudoephedrine extended-release tablets
- Pseudoephedrine oral drops, solution
- Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Pseudoephedrine tablets