Progesterone vaginal insert
What is this medicine?
PROGESTERONE (proe JES ter one) is a female hormone. This medicine is used to help women who are going through an assisted reproductive technology (ART) treatment program to become pregnant.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for vaginal use only. Do not take by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Wash your hands before and after use. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. This medicine is not approved for use in children.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
abnormal vaginal bleeding
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
breast tissue changes or discharge
changes in vision
confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
general ill feeling or flu-like symptoms
loss of appetite
pain, swelling, warmth in the leg
right upper belly pain
shortness of breath
sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg
trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
unusually weak or tired
yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
depressed mood or mood swings
fluid retention and swelling
stomach cramps or bloating
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not use any other vaginal products without asking your doctor or health care professional.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
blood vessel disease, blood clotting disorder, or suffered a stroke
breast, cervical or vaginal cancer
miscarriage or abortion
an unusual or allergic reaction to progesterone, other hormones, medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Visit your doctor or health care professional for a regular check on your progress.
This medicine can cause swelling, tenderness, or bleeding of the gums. Be careful when brushing and flossing teeth. See your dentist regularly for routine dental care.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Amenorrhea in Teens
- Female Growth and Development
- Gynecological and Menstrual Conditions
- Menstrual Disorders
- Bleeding During Early Pregnancy
- Cetrorelix injection
- Clomiphene tablets
- Drospirenone; Estradiol oral tablet
- Drospirenone; Ethinyl Estradiol tablets
- Ergonovine tablets
- Esterified Estrogens tablets
- Estradiol Cypionate; Medroxyprogesterone contraceptive injection
- Estropipate tablets
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Desogestrel tablets
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Ethynodiol Diacetate tablets
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Etonogestrel vaginal ring
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Levonorgestrel emergency contraceptive kit
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Levonorgestrel tablets
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norelgestromin skin patches
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone acetate chew tab; EE tab; Iron tab
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone Acetate (estrogen replacement)
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone Acetate; Ferrous fumarate chew tabs (contraception)
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone Acetate tablets (contraception)
- Ethinyl Estradiol, Norethindrone Chewable tablet, Ferrous Fumarate Chewable tablet
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone tablets
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norgestimate tablets
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norgestrel tablets
- Follitropin, r-FSH injection (Follistim(TM))
- Follitropin, r-FSH injection (Gonal-F(R))
- Ganirelix injection
- Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, HCG injection
- Levonorgestrel emergency contraceptive kit
- Levonorgestrel intrauterine device (IUD)
- Medroxyprogesterone injection [Contraceptive]
- Medroxyprogesterone injection [Malignancy]
- Medroxyprogesterone tablets
- Menotropins injection
- Mestranol; Norethindrone tablets
- Methylergonovine injection
- Methylergonovine tablets
- Mifepristone oral tablets
- Nonoxynol-9 vaginal dosage forms
- Norethindrone acetate (hormone replacement)
- Norethindrone tablets (contraception)
- Norgestrel tablets (contraception)
- Progesterone capsules
- Progesterone injection
- Progesterone vaginal gel
- Progesterone vaginal suppositories
- Urofollitropin, FSH Injection