Phenylephrine oral tablet
What is this medicine?
PHENYLEPHRINE (fen il EF rin) is a decongestant. It is used to relieve a stuffy nose from allergies, colds, or sinus problems.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine with food, water, or milk to prevent stomach upset. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years old for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
Patients over 60 years old may have a stronger reaction and need a smaller dose.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
fast, irregular heartbeat
feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet
unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
loss of appetite
stomach upset, nausea
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
dihydroergotamine, ergotamine, ergoloid mesylates, methysergide, or ergot-type medication
MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
other stimulant medicines
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
medicines for blood pressure
medicines for mental depression
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
high blood pressure
taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in last 14 days
trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
an unusual or allergic reaction to phenylephrine, other decongestants, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. See your doctor if you are not better in 7 days or if you have a fever.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Acetaminophen; Pseudoephedrine Oral Capsules or Tablets
- Acrivastine; Pseudoephedrine capsules
- Adenosine injection
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine capsules or tablets
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine extended-release capsules or tablets
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine Oral Drops
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine oral solution
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Chlorpheniramine; Guaifenesin; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine elixir
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral ER capsule
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine Oral suspension
- Codeine; Phenylephrine; Promethazine oral syrup
- Cyclopentolate eye solution
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral capsules or tablets
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral drops
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral ER tablets
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral suspension
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral syrup and solution
- Diltiazem extended-release capsules or tablets
- Diltiazem injection
- Diltiazem tablets
- Ephedrine injection
- Esmolol injection
- Flecainide tablets
- Guaifenesin; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral liquid
- Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine oral solution
- Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine tablets or capsules
- Hydrocodone; Phenylephrine oral syrup
- Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
- Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine tablets
- Ibuprofen; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Ibuprofen; Pseudoephedrine tablets or caplets
- Norepinephrine injection
- Phenylephrine chewable tablet
- Phenylephrine eye solution
- Phenylephrine injection
- Phenylephrine nasal spray
- Phenylephrine oral dissolving film
- Phenylephrine oral dissolving tablet
- Phenylephrine oral solution
- Phenylephrine oral solution, drops
- Phenylephrine oral suspension
- Phenylephrine; Promethazine oral syrup
- Phenylephrine rectal cream or ointment
- Phenylephrine rectal suppository
- Propafenone extended-release capsules
- Propafenone tablets
- Pseudoephedrine extended-release tablets
- Pseudoephedrine oral drops, solution
- Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
- Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Pseudoephedrine tablets
- Quinidine extended-release tablets
- Quinidine injection
- Quinidine tablets
- Verapamil injection
- Verapamil sustained-release capsules
- Verapamil sustained-release tablets
- Verapamil tablets