What is this medicine?
PHENYLEPHRINE (fen il EF rin) can treat a variety of conditions. It is often used during surgery. This medicine may used to treat very low blood pressure or serious heart problems such as irregular heartbeat.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for injection or infusion into a vein, or injection into a muscle or under the skin. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
fast, irregular heartbeat
feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
medicines for mental depression
What if I miss a dose?
This does not apply.
Where should I keep my medicine?
This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
head injury or disease
high blood pressure
an unusual or allergic reaction to phenylephrine, sulfites, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Acetaminophen; Pseudoephedrine Oral Capsules or Tablets
- Acrivastine; Pseudoephedrine capsules
- Adenosine injection
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine capsules or tablets
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine extended-release capsules or tablets
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine Oral Drops
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine oral solution
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Chlorpheniramine; Guaifenesin; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine elixir
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral ER capsule
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine Oral suspension
- Codeine; Phenylephrine; Promethazine oral solution
- Cyclopentolate eye solution
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral capsules or tablets
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral drops
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral ER tablets
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral suspension
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral syrup and solution
- Diltiazem extended-release capsules or tablets
- Diltiazem injection
- Diltiazem tablets
- Ephedrine injection
- Esmolol injection
- Flecainide tablets
- Guaifenesin; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral liquid
- Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine oral solution
- Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine tablets or capsules
- Hydrocodone; Phenylephrine oral syrup
- Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
- Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine tablets
- Ibuprofen; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Ibuprofen; Pseudoephedrine tablets or caplets
- Norepinephrine injection
- Phenylephrine chewable tablet
- Phenylephrine eye solution
- Phenylephrine nasal spray
- Phenylephrine oral dissolving film
- Phenylephrine oral dissolving tablet
- Phenylephrine oral solution
- Phenylephrine oral solution, drops
- Phenylephrine oral suspension
- Phenylephrine oral tablet
- Phenylephrine; Promethazine oral syrup
- Phenylephrine rectal cream or ointment
- Phenylephrine rectal suppository
- Propafenone extended-release capsules
- Propafenone tablets
- Pseudoephedrine extended-release tablets
- Pseudoephedrine oral drops, solution
- Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
- Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Pseudoephedrine tablets
- Quinidine extended-release tablets
- Quinidine injection
- Quinidine tablets
- Verapamil injection
- Verapamil sustained-release capsules
- Verapamil sustained-release tablets
- Verapamil tablets