What is this medicine?
PHENAZOPYRIDINE (fen az oh PEER i deen) is a pain reliever. It is used to stop the pain, burning, or discomfort caused by infection or irritation of the urinary tract. This medicine is not an antibiotic. It will not cure a urinary tract infection.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take after meals. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early even if you feel better. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
blue or purple color of the skin
unusual bleeding, bruising
unusual tired, weak
yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
Interactions are not expected.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency
an unusual or allergic reaction to phenazopyridine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
This medicine colors body fluids red. This effect is harmless and will go away after you are done taking the medicine. It will change urine to an dark orange or red color. The red color may stain clothing. Soft contact lenses may become permanently stained. It is best not to wear soft contact lenses while taking this medicine.
If you are diabetic you may get a false positive result for sugar in your urine. Talk to your health care provider.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Urinary Tract and Kidney Infections
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) in Children
- Amoxicillin capsules or tablets
- Amoxicillin chewable tablets
- Amoxicillin; Clavulanic Acid chewable tablets
- Amoxicillin; Clavulanic Acid extended-release tablets
- Amoxicillin; Clavulanic Acid oral suspension
- Amoxicillin; Clavulanic Acid tablets
- Amoxicillin extended-release tablets
- Amoxicillin oral suspension or pediatric drops
- Ampicillin capsules
- Ampicillin injection
- Ampicillin oral suspension or pediatric drops
- Aztreonam injection
- Aztreonam solution for inhalation
- Carbenicillin tablets
- Cefaclor capsules
- Cefaclor chewable tablets
- Cefaclor extended-release tablets
- Cefaclor oral suspension
- Cefadroxil oral suspension
- Cefadroxil tablets or capsules
- Cefazolin injection
- Cefepime injection
- Cefixime chewable tablet
- Cefixime oral suspension
- Cefixime oral tablets or capsules
- Cefoperazone Sodium Solution for injection
- Cefotaxime injection
- Cefotetan injection
- Cefoxitin injection
- Cefpodoxime oral suspension
- Cefpodoxime tablets
- Ceftazidime injection
- Ceftizoxime Sodium Solution for injection
- Ceftriaxone injection
- Cefuroxime injection
- Cefuroxime oral suspension
- Cefuroxime tablets
- Cephalexin oral suspension
- Cephalexin tablets or capsules
- Ciprofloxacin extended-release tablets
- Ciprofloxacin eye ointment
- Ciprofloxacin eye solution
- Ciprofloxacin injection
- Ciprofloxacin oral suspension
- Ciprofloxacin otic solution
- Ciprofloxacin otic suspension
- Ciprofloxacin tablets
- Cycloserine capsules
- Dicloxacillin capsules
- Dicloxacillin oral suspension
- Doxycycline delayed-release capsules
- Doxycycline delayed-release tablets
- Doxycycline injection
- Doxycycline oral syrup or suspension
- Doxycycline oral tablets (Periodontitis)
- Doxycycline tablets or capsules
- Ertapenem injection
- Flavoxate tablets
- Flucytosine capsules
- Fosfomycin powder for oral solution
- Gatifloxacin Eye drops, solution
- Gentamicin eye drops
- Gentamicin eye ointment
- Gentamicin skin cream or ointment
- Gentamicin, Sodium Chloride Solution for injection
- Gentamicin solution for injection
- Levofloxacin eye solution
- Levofloxacin injection
- Levofloxacin oral solution
- Levofloxacin tablets
- Lomefloxacin tablets
- Methenamine Hippurate tablets
- Methenamine Madelate tablets
- Nitrofurantoin oral suspension
- Nitrofurantoin tablets or capsules
- Norfloxacin Oral tablet
- Norfloxacin Oral tablet
- Ofloxacin ear solution
- Ofloxacin eye solution
- Ofloxacin tablets
- Oxybutynin extended-release tablets
- Oxybutynin oral syrup
- Oxybutynin skin patch
- Oxybutynin tablets
- Oxybutynin topical gel
- Piperacillin Sodium Solution for injection
- Piperacillin; Tazobactam injection
- Polymyxin B injection
- Streptomycin injection
- Sulfadiazine tablets
- Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim, SMX-TMP injection
- Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim, SMX-TMP oral suspension
- Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim, SMX-TMP tablets
- Sulfisoxazole oral suspension
- Ticarcillin Disodium, Clavulanate Potassium Solution for injection
- Tobramycin eye ointment
- Tobramycin eye solution
- Tobramycin injection
- Tobramycin powder for inhalation
- Tobramycin solution for inhalation
- Tolterodine extended-release capsules
- Tolterodine tablets
- Trimethoprim oral solution
- Trimethoprim tablets