What is this medicine?
OXACILLIN (ox a SILL in) is a penicillin antibiotic. It is used to treat certain kinds of bacterial infections. It will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for injection into a muscle or into a vein, or for infusion into a vein. It is usually given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
If you get this medicine at home, you will be taught how to prepare and give this medicine. Use exactly as directed. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think you are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early.
It is important that you put your used needles and syringes in a special sharps container. Do not put them in a trash can. If you do not have a sharps container, call your pharmacist or healthcare provider to get one.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
unusual bleeding or bruising
unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
birth control pills
some antibiotics like doxycycline, minocycline, tetracycline
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
If you are using this medicine at home, you will be instructed on how to store this medicine. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date on the label.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
an unusual or allergic reaction to oxacillin, other penicillins, cephalosporin antibiotics, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
Do not treat diarrhea with over the counter products. Contact your doctor if you have diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days or if it is severe and watery.
This medicine can interfere with some urine glucose tests. If you use such tests, talk with your health care professional.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Amikacin injection
- Amoxicillin capsules or tablets
- Amoxicillin chewable tablets
- Amoxicillin; Clavulanic Acid chewable tablets
- Amoxicillin; Clavulanic Acid extended-release tablets
- Amoxicillin; Clavulanic Acid oral suspension
- Amoxicillin; Clavulanic Acid tablets
- Amoxicillin extended-release tablets
- Amoxicillin oral suspension or pediatric drops
- Ampicillin; Sulbactam injection
- Azithromycin eye solution
- Azithromycin for infusion
- Azithromycin oral suspension (extended release)
- Azithromycin oral suspension (immediate release)
- Azithromycin tablets
- Bacitracin eye ointment
- Bacitracin; Hydrocortisone; Neomycin; Polymyxin B eye ointment
- Bacitracin, Hydrocortisone, Neomycin, Polymyxin B Topical ointment
- Bacitracin injection
- Bacitracin skin ointment
- Cefaclor capsules
- Cefaclor chewable tablets
- Cefaclor extended-release tablets
- Cefaclor oral suspension
- Cefazolin injection
- Cefdinir capsules
- Cefdinir oral suspension
- Cefditoren tablets
- Cefepime injection
- Cefoperazone Sodium Solution for injection
- Cefotaxime injection
- Cefotetan injection
- Cefoxitin injection
- Cefpodoxime oral suspension
- Cefpodoxime tablets
- Ceftizoxime Sodium Solution for injection
- Ceftriaxone injection
- Cefuroxime injection
- Cefuroxime oral suspension
- Cefuroxime tablets
- Cephalexin oral suspension
- Cephalexin tablets or capsules
- Ciprofloxacin; Dexamethasone ear suspension
- Ciprofloxacin; Hydrocortisone ear suspension
- Clindamycin capsules
- Clindamycin injection
- Clindamycin medicated pledgets
- Clindamycin oral solution
- Clindamycin Phosphate Topical Lotion
- Clindamycin skin solution or gel
- Clindamycin topical foam
- Clindamycin vaginal cream
- Clindamycin vaginal suppositories
- Dalfopristin; Quinupristin injection
- Daptomycin injection
- Dicloxacillin capsules
- Dicloxacillin oral suspension
- Ertapenem injection
- Gatifloxacin Eye drops, solution
- Gentamicin eye drops
- Gentamicin eye ointment
- Gentamicin skin cream or ointment
- Gentamicin, Sodium Chloride Solution for injection
- Gentamicin solution for injection
- Hydrocortisone; Neomycin; Polymyxin B ear solution
- Hydrocortisone; Neomycin; Polymyxin B ear suspension
- Hydrocortisone; Neomycin; Polymyxin B eye suspension
- Hydrocortisone, Neomycin, Polymyxin Topical cream
- Levofloxacin eye solution
- Levofloxacin injection
- Levofloxacin oral solution
- Levofloxacin tablets
- Linezolid injection
- Linezolid oral suspension
- Linezolid tablets
- Lomefloxacin tablets
- Moxifloxacin eye solution
- Moxifloxacin solution for infusion
- Moxifloxacin tablets
- Mupirocin nasal ointment
- Mupirocin skin cream or ointment
- Nafcillin injection
- Nitrofurantoin oral suspension
- Nitrofurantoin tablets or capsules
- Norfloxacin Oral tablet
- Norfloxacin Oral tablet
- Ofloxacin ear solution
- Ofloxacin eye solution
- Ofloxacin tablets
- Polymyxin B; Trimethoprim eye drops, solution
- Sulfacetamide eye ointment
- Sulfacetamide eye solution
- Sulfacetamide skin cream, gel, lotion, or suspension
- Sulfacetamide skin foam
- Sulfacetamide skin wash
- Sulfadiazine tablets
- Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim, SMX-TMP injection
- Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim, SMX-TMP oral suspension
- Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim, SMX-TMP tablets
- Tetracycline tablets or capsules
- Ticarcillin Disodium, Clavulanate Potassium Solution for injection
- Trimethoprim oral solution
- Trimethoprim tablets
- Vancomycin capsules
- Vancomycin injection
- Vancomycin oral solution