Omeprazole Magnesium Oral capsule, gastro-resistant
What is this medicine?
OMEPRAZOLE (oh ME pray zol) prevents the production of acid in the stomach. It is used to treat the symptoms of heartburn. You can buy this medicine without a prescription. This product is not for long-term use, unless otherwise directed by your doctor or health care professional.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the product label. If you are taking this medicine without a prescription, take one tablet every day. Do not use for longer than 14 days or repeat a course of treatment more often than every 4 months unless directed by a doctor or healthcare professional. Take your dose at regular intervals every 24 hours. Swallow the tablet whole with a drink of water. Do not crush, break or chew. This medicine works best if taken on an empty stomach 30 minutes before breakfast. If you are using this medicine with the prescription of your doctor or healthcare professional, follow the directions you were given. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
blood in urine
bone, muscle or joint pain
chest pain or tightness
dark yellow or brown urine
fever or sore throat
redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
shortness of breath
yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
diarrhea or constipation
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
certain medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like clopidogrel, warfarin
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
certain medicines for anxiety or sleep
prescription medicine for fungal or yeast infection like itraconazole, ketoconazole, voriconazole
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
black or bloody stools
have had heartburn for over 3 months
have heartburn with dizziness, lightheadedness or sweating
unexplained weight loss
vomiting with blood
an unusual or allergic reaction to omeprazole, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
It can take several days before your heartburn gets better. Check with your doctor or health care professional if your condition does not start to get better, or if it gets worse.
Do not treat yourself for heartburn with this medicine for more than 14 days in a row. You should only use this medicine for a 2-week treatment period once every 4 months. If your symptoms return shortly after your therapy is complete, or within the 4 month time frame, call your doctor or health care professional.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Digestive Disorders
- Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
- GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) in Children
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Carbonate chewable tablets
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Carbonate oral suspension
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide tablets
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Trisilicate chewable tablets
- Aluminum hydroxide oral suspension
- Amoxicillin; Clarithromycin; Lansoprazole tablets and capsules
- Atropine; Hyoscyamine; Phenobarbital; Scopolamine elixir
- Atropine; Hyoscyamine; Phenobarbital; Scopolamine tablets
- Bismuth Subsalicylate chewable tablets
- Bismuth Subsalicylate; Metronidazole; Tetracycline tablets and capsules
- Bismuth Subsalicylate oral liquid
- Bismuth Subsalicylate tablets
- Calcium Carbonate oral suspension
- Calcium Salts oral tablets
- Cimetidine injection
- Cimetidine oral liquid
- Cimetidine tablets
- Cisapride oral suspension
- Cisapride tablets
- Clarithromycin extended-release tablets
- Clarithromycin oral suspension
- Clarithromycin tablets
- Common Discomforts During Pregnancy
- Cromolyn Sodium eye solution
- Cromolyn Sodium inhalation aerosol
- Cromolyn Sodium inhalation solution
- Cromolyn Sodium nasal spray
- Cromolyn Sodium oral solution
- Dexlansoprazole capsules
- Diclofenac; Misoprostol tablets
- Esomeprazole capsules
- Esomeprazole Injection
- Esomeprazole Powder for Oral suspension
- Famotidine chewable tablet
- Famotidine injection
- Famotidine oral suspension
- Famotidine tablets or gelcaps
- Lansoprazole capsules
- Lansoprazole disintegrating tablets
- Lansoprazole Injection
- Lansoprazole oral suspension
- Magaldrate Oral Suspension
- Magnesium Hydroxide chewable tablets
- Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Metoclopramide injection
- Metoclopramide oral disintegrating tablet
- Metoclopramide oral solution
- Metoclopramide tablets
- Misoprostol tablets
- Nizatidine capsules
- Nizatidine oral solution
- Nizatidine tablets
- Omeprazole capsules (sprinkle caps) - Rx
- Omeprazole; Sodium Bicarbonate oral capsule
- Omeprazole; Sodium Bicarbonate oral powder for suspension
- Omeprazole suspension
- Omeprazole tablets (OTC)
- Pantoprazole injection
- Pantoprazole oral suspension
- Pantoprazole tablets
- Rabeprazole delayed-release capsules
- Rabeprazole delayed-release tablets
- Ranitidine effervescent tablets
- Ranitidine injection
- Ranitidine oral syrup
- Ranitidine tablets or capsules
- Sodium Bicarbonate granules for oral solution (Rx)
- Sodium Bicarbonate tablets
- Sucralfate oral suspension
- Sucralfate tablets