Nystatin skin cream or ointment
What is this medicine?
NYSTATIN (nye STAT in) is an antifungal medicine. It is used to treat certain kinds of fungal or yeast infections of the skin.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for external use on the skin only. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Wash hands before and after use. If treating a hand or nail infection, wash hands before use only. Apply a thin layer of this medicine to cover the affected skin and surrounding area. You can cover the area with a sterile gauze dressing (bandage). Do not use an airtight bandage (such as a plastic-covered bandage). Do not get the medicine in your eyes. If you do, rinse out with plenty of cool tap water. Use the full course of treatment prescribed, even if you think the infection is getting better. Use at regular intervals. Do not use your medicine more often than directed. Do not use this medicine for any condition other than the one for which it was prescribed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
Interactions are not expected. Do not use any other skin products on the affected area without telling your doctor or health care professional.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature 15 to 30 degrees C (59 to 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
an unusual or allergic reaction to nystatin, other foods, dyes or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve after 3 days.
After bathing make sure that your skin is very dry. Fungal infections like moist conditions. Do not walk around barefoot.
To help prevent reinfection, wear freshly washed cotton, not synthetic, clothing.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Candidiasis in Children
- Thrush (Oral Candida Infection) in Children
- Amphotericin B for infusion
- Amphotericin B Liposomal Suspension for injection
- Butoconazole vaginal cream
- Caspofungin injection
- Ciclopirox nail solution
- Ciclopirox shampoo
- Ciclopirox skin cream or gel
- Ciclopirox skin lotion or suspension
- Clotrimazole lozenges
- Clotrimazole skin cream, lotion, or solution
- Clotrimazole vaginal cream
- Clotrimazole vaginal tablets
- Common Discomforts During Pregnancy
- Econazole skin cream
- Econazole Topical Foam
- Fluconazole injection
- Fluconazole oral suspension
- Fluconazole tablets
- Flucytosine capsules
- Itraconazole capsules and tablets
- Itraconazole injection
- Itraconazole oral solution
- Ketoconazole shampoo
- Ketoconazole skin cream
- Ketoconazole skin gel
- Ketoconazole tablets
- Ketoconazole Topical Foam
- Miconazole aerosol powder or liquid
- Miconazole buccal tablet
- Miconazole skin cream
- Miconazole skin gel, lotion, ointment, or solution
- Miconazole Topical powder
- Miconazole vaginal cream
- Miconazole vaginal suppository
- Miconazole vaginal suppository and cream combination
- Nystatin lozenges
- Nystatin oral suspension
- Nystatin tablets
- Nystatin topical powder
- Nystatin; Triamcinolone cream or ointment
- Nystatin vaginal tablets
- Posaconazole injection
- Posaconazole Oral tablet, gastro-resistant
- Sulfanilamide vaginal cream
- Terconazole vaginal cream
- Terconazole vaginal suppositories
- Tioconazole vaginal ointment