Norethindrone acetate (hormone replacement)
What is this medicine?
NORETHINDRONE ACETATE (nor eth IN drone AS e tate) is a female hormone. This medicine is used to treat endometriosis, uterine bleeding caused by abnormal hormone levels, and secondary amenorrhea. Secondary amenorrhea is when a woman stops getting menstrual periods due to low levels of certain female hormones.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. You may take this medicine with or without food. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine at the same time each day. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
A patient information sheet will be given with each prescription and refill. Read this sheet carefully each time. The sheet may change frequently.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
breast tenderness or discharge
pain in the abdomen, chest, groin or leg
skin rash, itching, or hives
sudden shortness of breath
unusually weak or tired
vision or speech problems
yellowing of skin or eyes
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
changes in sexual desire
change in menstrual flow
facial hair growth
fluid retention and swelling
weight gain or loss
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
amprenavir or fosamprenavir
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
antibiotics or medicines for infections, especially rifampin, rifabutin, rifapentine, and griseofulvin, and possibly penicillins or tetracyclines
barbiturate medicines, such as phenobarbital
ritonavir or other medicines for HIV infection or AIDS
St. John's wort
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
blood vessel disease or blood clots
breast, cervical, or vaginal cancer
an unusual or allergic reaction to norethindrone, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. You will need a regular breast and pelvic exam and Pap smear while on this medicine.
If you have any reason to think you are pregnant, stop taking this medicine right away and contact your doctor or health care professional.
If you are taking this medicine for hormone related problems, it may take several cycles of use to see improvement in your condition.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Amenorrhea in Teens
- Female Growth and Development
- Gynecological and Menstrual Conditions
- Menstrual Disorders
- Bleeding During Early Pregnancy
- Danazol capsules
- Drospirenone; Ethinyl Estradiol tablets
- Ergonovine tablets
- Estradiol Cypionate; Medroxyprogesterone contraceptive injection
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Desogestrel tablets
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Ethynodiol Diacetate tablets
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Etonogestrel vaginal ring
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Levonorgestrel emergency contraceptive kit
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Levonorgestrel tablets
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norelgestromin skin patches
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone acetate chew tab; EE tab; Iron tab
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone Acetate (estrogen replacement)
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone Acetate; Ferrous fumarate chew tabs (contraception)
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone Acetate tablets (contraception)
- Ethinyl Estradiol, Norethindrone Chewable tablet, Ferrous Fumarate Chewable tablet
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone tablets
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norgestimate tablets
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norgestrel tablets
- Goserelin injection
- Leuprolide depot injection
- Leuprolide injection
- Levonorgestrel emergency contraceptive kit
- Levonorgestrel intrauterine device (IUD)
- Medroxyprogesterone injection [Contraceptive]
- Medroxyprogesterone injection [Malignancy]
- Medroxyprogesterone tablets
- Mestranol; Norethindrone tablets
- Methylergonovine injection
- Methylergonovine tablets
- Mifepristone oral tablets
- Nafarelin nasal spray
- Nonoxynol-9 vaginal dosage forms
- Norethindrone tablets (contraception)
- Norgestrel tablets (contraception)
- Progesterone capsules
- Progesterone injection
- Progesterone vaginal gel
- Progesterone vaginal insert
- Progesterone vaginal suppositories