Methylsulfonylmethane, MSM Oral Dosage Forms
What is this medicine?
METHYLSULFONYLMETHANE (MSM) is an herbal product or dietary supplement. It is promoted to help support healthy and flexible joints. Natural sources of MSM include milk, some grains, fruits, vegetables, tea, and coffee. The FDA has not approved this herb for any medical use.
How should I use this medicine?
Take by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the package labeling or ask your health care professional. Do not take this supplement more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this supplement in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
constipation or diarrhea
What may interact with this medicine?
Check with your doctor or healthcare professional if you are taking any of the following medications:
medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like aspirin, dalteparin, enoxaparin, ticlopidine, warfarin
NSAIDS, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
other herbal supplements
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature or as directed on the package label. Protect from moisture. Throw away any unused supplement after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
an unusual or allergic reaction to methylsulfonylmethane, MSM, other herbs or plants, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
See your doctor if your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse.
If you are scheduled for any medical or dental procedure, tell your healthcare provider that you are taking this supplement. You may need to stop taking this supplement before the procedure.
Herbal or dietary supplements are not regulated like medicines. Rigid quality control standards are not required for dietary supplements. The purity and strength of these products can vary. The safety and effect of this dietary supplement for a certain disease or illness is not well known. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
The Food and Drug Administration suggests the following to help consumers protect themselves:
Always read product labels and follow directions.
Natural does not mean a product is safe for humans to take.
Look for products that include USP after the ingredient name. This means that the manufacturer followed the standards of the US Pharmacopoeia.
Supplements made or sold by a nationally known food or drug company are more likely to be made under tight controls. You can write to the company for more information about how the product was made.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Acetaminophen; Aspirin, ASA; Caffeine oral powder
- Acetaminophen; Aspirin, ASA; Caffeine tablets, caplets, or geltabs
- Acetaminophen biphasic or extended-release tablets
- Acetaminophen chewable tablets
- Acetaminophen effervescent tablets
- Acetaminophen oral dissolving tablet
- Acetaminophen oral infant drops
- Acetaminophen oral solution
- Acetaminophen oral suspension
- Acetaminophen rectal suppositories
- Acetaminophen solution for injection
- Acetaminophen tablets or caplets
- Aspirin, ASA chewable tablets
- Aspirin, ASA chewing gum
- Aspirin, ASA oral tablets
- Aspirin, ASA suppositories
- Capsaicin topical patch
- Celecoxib capsules
- Choline Salicylate; Magnesium Salicylate oral solution
- Choline Salicylate; Magnesium Salicylate oral tablet
- Chondroitin; Glucosamine tablets or capsules
- Diclofenac eye solution
- Diclofenac immediate-release capsules
- Diclofenac immediate-release tablets
- Diclofenac injection
- Diclofenac; Misoprostol tablets
- Diclofenac powder for oral solution
- Diclofenac skin gel
- Diclofenac skin patch
- Diclofenac sodium enteric-coated tablets
- Diclofenac sodium extended-release tablets
- Diclofenac sodium topical solution
- Diflunisal tablets
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, Magnesium Salicylate oral tablets
- Etodolac extended release tablets
- Etodolac tablets or capsules
- Fenoprofen tablets or capsules
- Flavocoxid oral capsule
- Flurbiprofen eye solution
- Flurbiprofen tablets
- Glucosamine tablets and capsules
- Hydrocortisone injection
- Hydrocortisone rectal aerosol foam
- Hydrocortisone rectal cream
- Hydrocortisone rectal enema
- Hydrocortisone skin cream, ointment, lotion, or solution
- Hydrocortisone suppositories
- Hydrocortisone tablets
- Hydrocortisone topical spray
- Ibuprofen chewable tablets
- Ibuprofen injection
- Ibuprofen oral drops
- Ibuprofen oral suspension
- Ibuprofen tablets and capsules
- Indomethacin capsules
- Indomethacin extended-release capsules
- Indomethacin injection
- Indomethacin oral suspension
- Ketoprofen extended-release capsules
- Ketoprofen tablets or capsules
- Lansoprazole Oral gastro-resistant sprinkle capsule; Naproxen Oral tablet
- Magnesium Salicylate tablets
- Meloxicam capsules
- Meloxicam oral suspension
- Meloxicam tablets
- Methylprednisolone Solution for Injection
- Methylprednisolone Suspension for Injection
- Methylprednisolone tablets
- Nabumetone tablets
- Naproxen and naproxen sodium oral immediate-release tablets
- Naproxen delayed-release tablets
- Naproxen oral suspension
- Naproxen Sodium oral tablet, extended-release
- Oxaprozin tablets
- Pentosan capsules
- Piroxicam capsules
- Prednisolone eye solution or suspension
- Prednisolone oral disintegrating tablet
- Prednisolone oral solution or syrup
- Prednisolone oral suspension
- Prednisolone tablets
- Prednisone delayed-release tablets
- Prednisone oral solution
- Prednisone tablets
- S-adenosyl-L-methionine, SAM-e oral dosage forms
- Salsalate tablets
- Sulindac tablets
- Tolmetin capsules
- Tolmetin tablets
- Triamcinolone dental paste
- Triamcinolone injection
- Triamcinolone nasal spray
- Triamcinolone oral inhaler
- Triamcinolone skin cream, ointment, lotion, or aerosol
- Triamcinolone tablets