Methylcellulose capsules or tablets
What is this medicine?
METHYLCELLULOSE (meth ill SELL yoo lose) is a bulk-forming laxative. This medicine is used to treat constipation.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the package labeling, or take as directed by your health care professional. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years old for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
Interactions are not expected.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Do not freeze. Protect from moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
blockage of the intestines or bowel
change in bowel habits for more than 14 days
nausea or vomiting
an unusual or allergic reaction to methylcellulose, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying or get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
This medicine can take up to 3 days to work. Check with your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. See your doctor if you have to treat your constipation for more than 1 week.
Avoid taking other medicines within 2 hours of taking this medicine.
Drink several glasses of water a day while you are taking this medicine. This will help to relieve constipation and prevent dehydration.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Constipation in Children
- Diarrhea in Children
- Digestive and Liver Disorders Overview
- Atropine; Diphenoxylate oral liquid
- Atropine; Diphenoxylate tablets
- Bisacodyl suppositories
- Bisacodyl tablets and capsules
- Bismuth Subsalicylate chewable tablets
- Bismuth Subsalicylate oral liquid
- Bismuth Subsalicylate tablets
- Calcium Carbonate, Psyllium Oral capsule
- Cecostomy for Children
- Common Discomforts During Pregnancy
- Docusate capsules
- Docusate oral solution, suspension, or syrup
- Docusate rectal enema
- Docusate Sodium; Senna tablets or capsules
- Flaxseed (Linseed) oral solution
- Flaxseed Oral capsule, liquid filled
- Lactobacillus Oral formulations
- Lactulose oral solution
- Lactulose powder for oral solution
- Loperamide oral suspension
- Lubiprostone oral capsule
- Magnesium Citrate oral solution
- Magnesium Hydroxide chewable tablets
- Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Magnesium Salts capsules or tablets, immediate release
- Magnesium Salts oral solution
- Magnesium Salts tablets, extended-release
- Magnesium Sulfate injection
- Methylcellulose granules or powder for solution
- Methylcellulose powder for suspension
- Methylnaltrexone injection
- Nitazoxanide oral suspension
- Nitazoxanide tablets
- Octreotide injection solution
- Phosphorus Salts powder for oral solution
- Polycarbophil Chewable Tablets
- Polycarbophil Oral Tablet
- Polyethylene Glycol powder
- Potassium Phosphate oral tablets
- Potassium Phosphate solution for injection
- Psyllium Chewable bars or wafers
- Psyllium granules or powder for solution
- Psyllium oral capsule
- Rifaximin tablets
- Senna oral solution
- Senna tablets or capsules
- Tegaserod tablets
- Trimethoprim oral solution
- Trimethoprim tablets