Mesalamine, 5-ASA extended-release capsules (Apriso)
What is this medicine?
MESALAMINE (me SAL a meen) is used to maintain remission of ulcerative colitis.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not cut, crush, or chew this medicine. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
difficulty breathing, wheezing
pain or difficulty passing urine
unusually weak or tired
yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
stomach pain or cramps
What may interact with this medicine?
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
an unusual or allergic reaction to mesalamine, salicylates, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms get worse.
Do not change the brand of this medicine that you are taking without talking to your doctor or health care professional. All brands do not have the same dose.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Crohn's Disease in Children
- Ulcerative Colitis in Children
- Balsalazide capsules
- Balsalazide oral tablets
- Betamethasone foam
- Betamethasone injection
- Betamethasone oral solution
- Betamethasone skin cream, gel, lotion, or ointment
- Betamethasone topical spray
- Budesonide gastro-resistant capsules and extended-release tablets
- Budesonide inhalation powder
- Budesonide inhalation solution
- Budesonide nasal spray
- Budesonide rectal foam
- Certolizumab pegol injection
- Cromolyn Sodium eye solution
- Cromolyn Sodium inhalation aerosol
- Cromolyn Sodium inhalation solution
- Cromolyn Sodium nasal spray
- Cromolyn Sodium oral solution
- Cyclosporine injection
- Cyclosporine (modified) oral solution
- Cyclosporine ophthalmic emulsion
- Cyclosporine oral solution
- Hydrocortisone injection
- Hydrocortisone rectal aerosol foam
- Hydrocortisone rectal cream
- Hydrocortisone rectal enema
- Hydrocortisone skin cream, ointment, lotion, or solution
- Hydrocortisone suppositories
- Hydrocortisone tablets
- Hydrocortisone topical spray
- Infliximab injection
- Mercaptopurine, 6-MP oral suspension
- Mercaptopurine, 6-MP tablets
- Mesalamine, 5-ASA rectal suspension
- Mesalamine, 5-ASA suppositories
- Mesalamine delayed-release
- Methylprednisolone Solution for Injection
- Methylprednisolone Suspension for Injection
- Methylprednisolone tablets
- Metronidazole extended-release tablets
- Metronidazole injection
- Metronidazole skin gel, cream, or lotion
- Metronidazole tablets or capsules
- Metronidazole vaginal gel
- Neoral or Gengraf cyclosporine oral capsule
- Olsalazine capsules
- Prednisolone eye solution or suspension
- Prednisolone oral disintegrating tablet
- Prednisolone oral solution or syrup
- Prednisolone oral suspension
- Prednisolone tablets
- Prednisone delayed-release tablets
- Prednisone oral solution
- Prednisone tablets
- Sandimmune cyclosporine oral capsules
- Sulfasalazine delayed release tablets
- Sulfasalazine tablets
- Triamcinolone dental paste
- Triamcinolone injection
- Triamcinolone nasal spray
- Triamcinolone oral inhaler
- Triamcinolone skin cream, ointment, lotion, or aerosol
- Triamcinolone tablets