Magnesium Salts capsules or tablets, immediate release
What is this medicine?
MAGNESIUM SALT (mag NEE zee um sawlt) is a dietary supplement. It is used to treat or prevent low levels of magnesium in the body.
This supplement may be used for other purposes; ask your health care provider or pharmacist if you have questions.
How should I use this medicine?
Take by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the label. Do not take this supplement more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this supplement in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
low body temperature
unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
antibiotics like ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, tetracycline
cellulose sodium phosphate
edetate disodium, disodium EDTA
medicines for chest pain like digoxin, nifedipine
other magnesium-containing antacids, laxatives or supplements
sodium polystyrene sulfonate
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature or as directed on the package label. Protect from moisture. Throw away any unused supplement after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
an unusual or allergic reaction to magnesium, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Visit your doctor for regular check ups. See your doctor if your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse.
If you are scheduled for any medical or dental procedure, tell your healthcare provider that you are taking this supplement. You may need to stop taking this supplement before the procedure.
Herbal or dietary supplements are not regulated like medicines. Rigid quality control standards are not required for dietary supplements. The purity and strength of these products can vary. The safety and effect of this dietary supplement for a certain disease or illness is not well known. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
The Food and Drug Administration suggests the following to help consumers protect themselves:
Always read product labels and follow directions.
Natural does not mean a product is safe for humans to take.
Look for products that include USP after the ingredient name. This means that the manufacturer followed the standards of the US Pharmacopoeia.
Supplements made or sold by a nationally known food or drug company are more likely to be made under tight controls. You can write to the company for more information about how the product was made.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Constipation in Children
- Digestive and Liver Disorders Overview
- Be on the Watch for Preeclampsia
- Bisacodyl suppositories
- Bisacodyl tablets and capsules
- Calcium Carbonate, Psyllium Oral capsule
- Cecostomy for Children
- Common Discomforts During Pregnancy
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, Magnesium Salicylate oral tablets
- Docusate capsules
- Docusate oral solution, suspension, or syrup
- Docusate rectal enema
- Docusate Sodium; Senna tablets or capsules
- Flaxseed (Linseed) oral solution
- Flaxseed Oral capsule, liquid filled
- Lactulose oral solution
- Lactulose powder for oral solution
- Lubiprostone oral capsule
- Magnesium Citrate oral solution
- Magnesium Hydroxide chewable tablets
- Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Magnesium Salicylate tablets
- Magnesium Salts oral solution
- Magnesium Salts tablets, extended-release
- Magnesium Sulfate injection
- Methylcellulose capsules or tablets
- Methylcellulose granules or powder for solution
- Methylcellulose powder for suspension
- Methylnaltrexone injection
- Phosphorus Salts powder for oral solution
- Polycarbophil Chewable Tablets
- Polycarbophil Oral Tablet
- Polyethylene Glycol powder
- Potassium Phosphate oral tablets
- Potassium Phosphate solution for injection
- Psyllium Chewable bars or wafers
- Psyllium granules or powder for solution
- Psyllium oral capsule
- Senna oral solution
- Senna tablets or capsules
- Tegaserod tablets