Lactulose oral solution
What is this medicine?
LACTULOSE (LAK tyoo lose) is a laxative derived from lactose. It helps to treat chronic constipation and to treat or prevent hepatic encephalopathy or coma. These are brain disorders that result from liver disease.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Shake well before using. Use a specially marked spoon or container to measure your medicine. Ask your pharmacist if you do not have one. Household spoons are not accurate. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
You may be directed to take this medicine rectally. If so, you must follow specific directions from your doctor or healthcare professional. Please contact him or her.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
nausea or vomiting
stomach pain or discomfort
What may interact with this medicine?
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
This medicine may darken in color under normal storage conditions. This is because of the sugar solution and does not affect the way the medicine works. If the solution becomes extremely dark in color, contact your health care professional before use.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Do not freeze. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
need a galactose-free diet
scheduled for surgery
an unusual or allergic reaction to lactulose, other sugars, medicines, foods, dyes or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
This medicine may not produce any result for 24 to 48 hours. Do not take this medicine for longer than directed by your doctor or health care professional.
Drink plenty of water with each dose of this medicine.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Constipation in Children
- Digestive and Liver Disorders Overview
- Bisacodyl suppositories
- Bisacodyl tablets and capsules
- Calcium Carbonate, Psyllium Oral capsule
- Cecostomy for Children
- Common Discomforts During Pregnancy
- Docusate capsules
- Docusate oral solution, suspension, or syrup
- Docusate rectal enema
- Docusate Sodium; Senna tablets or capsules
- Flaxseed (Linseed) oral solution
- Flaxseed Oral capsule, liquid filled
- Lactulose powder for oral solution
- Lubiprostone oral capsule
- Magnesium Citrate oral solution
- Magnesium Hydroxide chewable tablets
- Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Magnesium Salts capsules or tablets, immediate release
- Magnesium Salts oral solution
- Magnesium Salts tablets, extended-release
- Magnesium Sulfate injection
- Methylcellulose capsules or tablets
- Methylcellulose granules or powder for solution
- Methylcellulose powder for suspension
- Methylnaltrexone injection
- Neomycin oral solution
- Neomycin tablets
- Paromomycin capsules
- Phosphorus Salts powder for oral solution
- Polycarbophil Chewable Tablets
- Polycarbophil Oral Tablet
- Polyethylene Glycol powder
- Potassium Phosphate oral tablets
- Potassium Phosphate solution for injection
- Psyllium Chewable bars or wafers
- Psyllium granules or powder for solution
- Psyllium oral capsule
- Senna oral solution
- Senna tablets or capsules
- Tegaserod tablets