How to Handle Dizziness During Pregnancy
During pregnancy, you might feel lightheaded or dizzy.
There are a couple of reasons why this can happen. Your blood pressure is lower. Plus, your growing uterus can press on and block the large vein carrying blood to your heart. In either case, this reduces the blood supply in your brain.
Low blood sugar and low iron can also be factors. Sometimes, just getting up too quickly from a sitting position to a standing position can cause dizziness.
To keep from falling during episodes of dizziness, stand up slowly and hold onto the walls and other objects for support and balance. Call your healthcare provider right away if you have repeated dizziness or fainting.
Self-care steps for dizziness:
Stand up slowly from seated or lying positions.
Change positions often. Don’t stand or sit in one place for too long.
Don’t get overheated. Avoid hot showers or baths.
Try to avoid lying flat on your back during the third trimester.
Eat regular meals.
Drink enough fluids.
Get enough exercise. Walking is a good exercise during pregnancy. If you feel faint or dizzy during exercise, stop and call your healthcare provider.
Sit down, bend over, and breathe deeply or lie on your side when you feel dizzy. Both positions increase the flow of blood to your brain.
Tell your healthcare provider about your symptoms. He or she may want to check if you have anemia.
Online Medical Reviewer: Bowers, Nancy, RN, BSN, MPHFoley, Maryann, RN, BSN
Date Last Reviewed: 5/1/2016
© 2000-2019 The StayWell Company, LLC. 800 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
- 5 Pregnancy Myths
- Avoid Getting Stuck with Constipation
- Be Wary of These Three Items
- Bleeding During Early Pregnancy
- Ease Nausea with Natural Remedies
- Ease the Aches of Pregnancy with Exercise
- For the Sake of Your Baby, Skip the Alcohol
- For Twins or More: What to Consider in Your Third Trimester
- Gentle Approach Can Beat Pregnancy-Related Hair Loss
- Having Multiples? Take Extra Care in the First Trimester
- Healthy Habits Are Extra Important During Pregnancy
- How are Low Birthweight and Smoking Related?
- How to Avoid Heartburn During Pregnancy
- How to Keep Gestational Diabetes at Bay
- Keeping Up with the 9-to-5
- Lifting the Burden of Pregnancy Depression
- Manage Issues in the Workplace
- Managing Gestational Diabetes
- Managing Your Diabetes During Pregnancy
- Medicine and Pregnancy Don't Always Mix
- Pregnancy and Oral Health
- Pregnancy and Skin Changes
- Pregnancy: Common Questions
- Pregnancy Rhinitis: Relief for Ongoing Nasal Congestion Is Possible
- Pregnancy Safety for You and Your Little One
- Pregnant? Why You Should Know About Lead
- Safe Sleep During Pregnancy
- Steps to Reduce the Pressure on Your Legs
- Take Precautions When You Travel
- Take to the Water for Exercise
- What Dad Can Expect When You’re Expecting