How to Choose the Right Pediatrician
To begin, ask for referrals from doctors, friends, and family. Ask them why they recommend a particular doctor. Once you have a list, set up meetings to get acquainted. Choose the doctor that best suits your needs and with whom you feel most comfortable.
Below are some questions to ask:
• Do you participate in my health plan?
• What are your office hours?
• How are emergencies handled?
• Where did you train?
• Are you board certified?
• Who covers for you when you are sick or on vacation?
• How long does it take to get an appointment?
• With which hospital are you affiliated?
You also should ask yourself some questions:
• Is the office conveniently located?
• Will your child like the doctor?
• Does the doctor listen and answer questions?
• Do you like and trust this person?
Online Medical Reviewer: Jovino, Louise DO
Date Last Reviewed: 4/2/2010
© 2000-2018 The StayWell Company, LLC. 800 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
- Acquired Hypothyroidism in Children
- Choosing Your Child's Healthcare Provider
- Graves Disease in Children
- Appendectomy for Children
- Babies' Warning Signs
- Babying Your Baby’s Skin
- Basics About Your Newborn’s Body
- Boost Verbal and Play Skills in Your 1-Year-Old
- BPA and Baby Bottles: Should You Be Concerned?
- Break Bad Sleep Habits
- Breastfeeding Best Bet Against Baby Allergies
- Building Baby’s Brain
- Cecostomy for Children
- Childhood Immunizations: Get the Facts
- CT Abdominal Scan for Children
- Dental Care for Infants
- Does My Baby Have an Ear Infection?
- Encouraging Your Baby’s Social Skills
- Flu Shots Urged for Young Children
- High-Risk Newborns and Low Milk Production
- How to Soothe Your Teething Baby
- How to Use Pacifiers Safely
- Is Organic Food Right for Your Baby?
- Is Your Baby Getting Enough Milk?
- Jaundice Is Not Unusual
- Keep Your Kids Safe with Immunizations
- Lack of Sleep Can Harm a Child’s Health
- Make Baby’s Bedtime Safe and Sound
- Pacifiers May Protect Against SIDS
- Playing It Safe: The Whole Toy Story
- Reach Out and Touch Your Baby
- Special Concerns for International Travel While Nursing
- Survive Your Little One's First Flight
- Swaddled Babies Sleep Better
- When It’s Time to See the Pediatric Ophthalmologist
- When Should You Stop Breastfeeding?
- Your Child's First Dental Visit
- Your Child’s Vaccines: Get the Facts