Fluocinolone topical oil
What is this medicine?
FLUOCINOLONE (floo oh SIN oh lone) is a corticosteroid. It is used to treat skin problems that may cause itching and swelling.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for external use only. Do not take by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Wash your hands before and after use. Do not use this medicine more often than directed or for a longer period of time than ordered by your doctor or health care professional. To do so may increase the chance of side effects. Do not use on healthy skin or over large areas of skin. Do not get this medicine in your eyes. If you do, rinse it out with plenty of cool tap water.
For areas other than the scalp- Apply a thin film of oil to the affected area and rub in gently. Do not bandage or wrap the skin being treated unless directed to do so by your doctor or health care professional.
For use on the scalp- Wet or dampen your hair and scalp before using this medicine. Apply a thin film of oil, massage well, and cover your scalp with the shower cap provided. Leave on overnight or for at least 4 hours before washing off unless you are given different instructions from your doctor or health care professional. Then, wash your hair with regular shampoo and rinse completely.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 3 months of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
dark red spots on the skin
lack of healing of the skin condition
painful, red, pus filled blisters in hair follicles
severe burning and continued itching of the skin
thinning of the skin with easy bruising
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
burning, itching, or irritation of the skin
increased redness or scaling of the skin
unusual increased growth of hair on the face or body
What may interact with this medicine?
Interactions are not expected. Do not use any other skin products without telling your doctor or health care professional.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F) away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
any type of active infection
large areas of burned or damaged skin
skin wasting or thinning
an unusual or allergic reaction to fluocinolone, steroids, other medicines, peanuts, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not get better within one week. Tell your doctor or health care professional if you are exposed to anyone with measles or chickenpox, or if you develop sores or blisters that do not heal properly.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Atopic Dermatitis in Children
- Common Skin Disorders in Children
- Cradle Cap
- Describing a Child's Skin Condition
- Noninfectious Skin Conditions
- Ammonium Lactate skin cream
- Ammonium Lactate topical lotion
- Bacitracin; Hydrocortisone; Neomycin; Polymyxin B eye ointment
- Bacitracin, Hydrocortisone, Neomycin, Polymyxin B Topical ointment
- Betamethasone foam
- Betamethasone injection
- Betamethasone oral solution
- Betamethasone skin cream, gel, lotion, or ointment
- Betamethasone topical spray
- Ciclopirox nail solution
- Ciclopirox shampoo
- Ciclopirox skin cream or gel
- Ciclopirox skin lotion or suspension
- Clobetasol Propionate Shampoo
- Clobetasol Propionate skin cream
- Clobetasol Propionate Topical foam
- Clobetasol Propionate Topical Gel
- Clobetasol Propionate topical lotion
- Clobetasol Propionate Topical Ointment
- Clobetasol Propionate Topical solution
- Clobetasol Propionate Topical solution, spray
- Coal tar bath solution
- Coal Tar Foam
- Coal tar shampoo
- Coal Tar skin cream, lotion, or gel
- Corticotropin, ACTH Gel for Injection
- Cortisone tablets
- Describing a Skin Condition
- Desonide skin cream, lotion, or ointment
- Desonide topical foam
- Desonide topical gel
- Desoximetasone skin cream, gel or ointment
- Desoximetasone topical spray
- Dexamethasone eye drops
- Dexamethasone eye ointment
- Dexamethasone injection
- Dexamethasone intravitreal implant
- Dexamethasone oral solution
- Dexamethasone tablets
- Diflorasone skin cream or ointment
- Fluocinolone Acetonide; Aluminum Acetate Shampoo
- Fluocinolone intravitreal implant
- Fluocinolone oil ear drops
- Fluocinolone shampoo
- Fluocinolone skin cream, ointment, or topical solution
- Fluocinonide skin cream, gel, ointment, or topical solution
- Flurandrenolide skin cream, ointment, or lotion
- Flurandrenolide tape
- Halobetasol skin cream, lotion, or ointment
- Hydrocortisone injection
- Hydrocortisone rectal aerosol foam
- Hydrocortisone rectal cream
- Hydrocortisone rectal enema
- Hydrocortisone skin cream, ointment, lotion, or solution
- Hydrocortisone suppositories
- Hydrocortisone tablets
- Hydrocortisone topical spray
- Hydroxyzine capsules or tablets
- Hydroxyzine injection
- Hydroxyzine oral solution
- Hydroxyzine oral suspension
- Ketoconazole shampoo
- Ketoconazole skin cream
- Ketoconazole skin gel
- Ketoconazole tablets
- Ketoconazole Topical Foam
- Methylprednisolone Solution for Injection
- Methylprednisolone Suspension for Injection
- Methylprednisolone tablets
- Mometasone inhalation powder
- Mometasone nasal spray
- Mometasone respiratory inhalation suspension spray
- Mometasone sinus implant
- Mometasone skin cream, lotion, or ointment
- Pimecrolimus skin cream
- Prednisolone eye solution or suspension
- Prednisolone oral disintegrating tablet
- Prednisolone oral solution or syrup
- Prednisolone oral suspension
- Prednisolone tablets
- Prednisone delayed-release tablets
- Prednisone oral solution
- Prednisone tablets
- Selenium Sulfide shampoo
- Selenium Sulfide skin foam or lotion
- Sulfacetamide eye ointment
- Sulfacetamide eye solution
- Sulfacetamide skin cream, gel, lotion, or suspension
- Sulfacetamide skin foam
- Sulfacetamide skin wash
- Sulfacetamide Sodium, Sulfur Topical foam
- Sulfacetamide; Sulfur topical skin cleanser or emulsion
- Sulfacetamide; Sulfur topical skin cream, gel, or lotion
- Sulfacetamide; sulfur topical skin foam
- Tacrolimus capsules
- Tacrolimus extended-release capsules or tablets
- Tacrolimus injection
- Tacrolimus ointment
- Triamcinolone dental paste
- Triamcinolone injection
- Triamcinolone nasal spray
- Triamcinolone oral inhaler
- Triamcinolone skin cream, ointment, lotion, or aerosol
- Triamcinolone tablets
- Urea shampoo
- Urea skin cream, gel, lotion, ointment, or nail lacquer