What is this medicine?
DEMECLOCYCLINE (dem e kloe SYE kleen) is a tetracycline antibiotic. It is used to treat certain kinds of bacterial infections. It will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Taking a sip of water first, before taking the tablets, may help you to swallow them. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or at least 2 hours after food. Do not take with food or dairy. Take while in an upright or sitting position. Take your bedtime doses at least 10 minutes before lying down. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think you are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 8 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
changes in hearing
changes in vision
increased amount, frequency of urine
pain on swallowing
rectal or genital irritation
redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
unusual bleeding or bruising
unusually weak or tired
yellowing eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
loss of appetite
What may interact with this medicine?
birth control pills
other antibiotics like penicillin
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date. Do not take this medicine after it has expired, it can make you ill.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
an unusual or allergic reaction to demeclocycline, or other tetracycline antibiotics, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control.
If you are being treated for a sexually transmitted disease, avoid sexual contact until you have finished your treatment. Your sexual partner may also need treatment.
Avoid taking antacids containing aluminum, calcium or magnesium, and iron-containing products for 2 hours before and after taking a dose of this medicine.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone Secretion in Children
- Walking Pneumonia in Children
- Amoxicillin; Clavulanic Acid chewable tablets
- Amoxicillin; Clavulanic Acid extended-release tablets
- Amoxicillin; Clavulanic Acid oral suspension
- Amoxicillin; Clavulanic Acid tablets
- Azithromycin eye solution
- Azithromycin for infusion
- Azithromycin oral suspension (extended release)
- Azithromycin oral suspension (immediate release)
- Azithromycin tablets
- Cefixime chewable tablet
- Cefixime oral suspension
- Cefixime oral tablets or capsules
- Cefotaxime injection
- Cefotetan injection
- Cefoxitin injection
- Cefpodoxime oral suspension
- Cefpodoxime tablets
- Ceftizoxime Sodium Solution for injection
- Ceftriaxone injection
- Cefuroxime injection
- Cefuroxime oral suspension
- Cefuroxime tablets
- Ciprofloxacin extended-release tablets
- Ciprofloxacin eye ointment
- Ciprofloxacin eye solution
- Ciprofloxacin injection
- Ciprofloxacin oral suspension
- Ciprofloxacin otic solution
- Ciprofloxacin otic suspension
- Ciprofloxacin tablets
- Doxycycline delayed-release capsules
- Doxycycline delayed-release tablets
- Doxycycline injection
- Doxycycline oral syrup or suspension
- Doxycycline oral tablets (Periodontitis)
- Doxycycline tablets or capsules
- Erythromycin chewable tablets
- Erythromycin eye ointment
- Erythromycin injection
- Erythromycin oral suspension
- Erythromycin skin lotion
- Erythromycin tablets, immediate release
- Erythromycin tablets or capsules, delayed release
- Erythromycin topical gel
- Erythromycin topical ointment
- Erythromycin topical pledget
- Gatifloxacin Eye drops, solution
- Gemifloxacin tablets
- Imipenem; Cilastatin injection
- Minocycline injection
- Minocycline oral extended-release capsules or tablets
- Minocycline Periodontal Powder
- Minocycline tablets or capsules
- Norfloxacin Oral tablet
- Norfloxacin Oral tablet
- Ofloxacin ear solution
- Ofloxacin eye solution
- Ofloxacin tablets
- Penicillin G Potassium or Sodium Injection
- Piperacillin Sodium Solution for injection
- Piperacillin; Tazobactam injection
- Streptomycin injection
- Sulfacetamide eye ointment
- Sulfacetamide eye solution
- Sulfacetamide skin cream, gel, lotion, or suspension
- Sulfacetamide skin foam
- Sulfacetamide skin wash
- Sulfadiazine tablets
- Tetracycline tablets or capsules