Codeine; Phenylephrine; Promethazine oral solution
What is this medicine?
CODEINE; PHENYLEPHRINE; PROMETHAZINE (KOE deen; fen il EF rin; proe METH a zeen) is a cough suppressant, a decongestant, and an antihistamine. It helps to stop or reduce coughing and congestion of colds or allergies. This medicine will not treat an infection.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food. Use a specially marked spoon or container to measure each dose. Ask your pharmacist if you do not have one. Household spoons are not accurate. Do not to overfill. Rinse the measuring device with water after each use. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. This medicine is not approved for use in children.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
changes in vision
fast, irregular heartbeat
high blood pressure
signs and symptoms of low blood pressure like dizziness; feeling faint or lightheaded, falls; unusually weak or tired
signs and symptoms of neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) such as confusion; fast or irregular heart beat; high fever; increased sweating; stiff muscles
trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
uncontrollable head, mouth, neck, arm, or leg movements
yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
antihistamines or decongestants for allergy, cough and cold
certain medicines for anxiety or sleep
certain medicines for depression like amitriptyline, fluoxetine, sertraline
certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone
general anesthetics like halothane, isoflurane, methoxyflurane, propofol
herbal or dietary supplements containing ephedra or ephedrine
local anesthetics like lidocaine, pramoxine, tetracaine
MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
medicines that relax muscles for surgery
other narcotic medicines (opiates) for pain or cough
phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
antiviral medicines for hepatitis, HIV or AIDS
certain antibiotics like erythromycin, clarithromycin
certain medicines for bladder problems like oxybutynin, tolterodine
certain medicines for fungal infections like ketoconazole and itraconazole
certain medicines for Parkinson's disease like benztropine, trihexyphenidyl
certain medicines for stomach problems like dicyclomine, hyoscyamine
certain medicines for travel sickness like scopolamine
other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take extra or double doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children. This drug can be abused. Keep this medicine in a safe place to protect it from theft. Do not share this medicine with anyone. Selling or giving away this medicine is dangerous and is against the law.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Protect from light. This medicine may cause accidental overdose and death if taken by other adults, children, or pets. Mix any unused medicine with a substance like cat littler or coffee grounds. Then throw the medicine away in a sealed container like a sealed bag or a coffee can with a lid. Do not use the medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
history of a drug or alcohol abuse problem
history of irregular heartbeat
if you often drink alcohol
low blood pressure
lung or breathing disease, like asthma
stomach or intestine problems
trouble passing urine
an allergic or unusual reaction to codeine, phenylephrine, promethazine, phenothiazines, sulfites, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Use exactly as directed by your doctor or health care professional. Do not take more than the recommended dose. You may develop tolerance to this medicine if you take it for a long time. Tolerance means that you will get less cough relief with time. Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
If you have been taking this medicine for a long time, do not suddenly stop taking it because you may develop a severe reaction. Your body becomes used to the medicine. This does NOT mean you are addicted. Addiction is a behavior related to getting and using a drug for a nonmedical reason. If your doctor wants you to stop the medicine, the dose will be slowly lowered over time to avoid any side effects.
There are different types of narcotic medicines (opiates). If you take more than one type at the same time or if you are taking another medicine that also causes drowsiness, you may have more side effects. Give your health care provider a list of all medicines you use. Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take. Do not take more medicine than directed. Call emergency for help if you have problems breathing or unusual sleepiness.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
This medicine will cause constipation. Try to have a bowel movement at least every 2 to 3 days. If you do not have a bowel movement for 3 days, call your doctor or health care professional.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
This medicine may cause dry eyes and blurred vision. If you wear contact lenses, you may feel some discomfort. Lubricating drops may help. See your eye doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine Solution
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine Suspension
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine Tablet
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; PSE
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine Solution
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine Susp
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine Tablet
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; DM; Phenylephrine Effervescent Tablet
- Acetaminophen; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine Capsule or Tablet
- Acetaminophen; Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine Oral Capsules and Tablets
- Acetaminophen; Pseudoephedrine Oral Capsules or Tablets
- Acrivastine; Pseudoephedrine capsules
- Benzonatate capsules
- Brompheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral liquid
- Brompheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine capsules or tablets
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine extended-release capsules or tablets
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine Oral Drops
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine oral solution
- Brompheniramine; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Carbetapentane; Chlorpheniramine oral suspension
- Carbetapentane; Chlorpheniramine tablets
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin extended release capsules or tablets
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin oral solution
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin oral suspension
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin oral syrup
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral solution or syrup
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral suspension
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral tablet, extended release
- Carbetapentane; Phenylephrine; Pyrilamine oral suspension
- Carbetapentane; Phenylephrine; Pyrilamine tablets
- Chlorpheniramine; Codeine extended-release oral suspension
- Chlorpheniramine; Codeine immediate-release oral suspension
- Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine oral drops
- Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine oral ER tablets
- Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine oral solution or syrup
- Chlorpheniramine; Dihydrocodeine; Phenylephrine oral solution, syrup
- Chlorpheniramine; Dihydrocodeine; Pseudoephedrine oral syrup and solution
- Chlorpheniramine; Guaifenesin; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine elixir
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone oral solution or suspension
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral ER capsule
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine Oral suspension
- Codeine; Guaifenesin oral solution or syrup
- Codeine; Guaifenesin tablets or capsules
- Codeine injection
- Codeine oral solution
- Codeine; Promethazine oral solution
- Codeine tablets
- Dextromethorphan capsule
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin capsules and ER tablets
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin oral drops, solution
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin oral solution
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin oral suspension
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral capsules or tablets
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral drops
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral ER tablets
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral suspension
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral syrup and solution
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine capsules or ER tablets
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine oral drops
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine oral liquid
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine tablets
- Dextromethorphan; Guaifenesin tablets
- Dextromethorphan oral solution and syrup
- Dextromethorphan oral suspension
- Dextromethorphan; Promethazine oral solution
- Dihydrocodeine; Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine oral solution and syrup
- Diphenhydramine capsules or tablets
- Diphenhydramine capsules or tablets [Insomnia]
- Diphenhydramine chewable tablet
- Diphenhydramine disintegrating tablet
- Diphenhydramine disintegrating tablet (Insomnia)
- Diphenhydramine; Hydrocodone; Phenylephrine Oral Solution
- Diphenhydramine; Hydrocodone; Phenylephrine Oral Suspension
- Diphenhydramine injection
- Diphenhydramine Oral Suspension
- Diphenhydramine oral syrup or elixir
- Diphenhydramine Topical
- Ephedrine injection
- Guaifenesin; Hydrocodone Extended release capsules or tablets
- Guaifenesin; Hydrocodone oral syrup
- Guaifenesin; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral liquid
- Guaifenesin; Hydrocodone tablets
- Guaifenesin oral ER tablets
- Guaifenesin oral solution and syrup
- Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral drops
- Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral solution or syrup
- Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral suspension
- Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine tablets or capsules
- Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine oral solution
- Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine tablets or capsules
- Homatropine; Hydrocodone oral syrup
- Homatropine; Hydrocodone tablets
- Hydrocodone; Phenylephrine oral syrup
- Hydrocodone; Potassium Guaiacolsulfonate oral solution or syrup
- Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
- Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine tablets
- Ibuprofen; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Ibuprofen; Pseudoephedrine tablets or caplets
- Phenylephrine chewable tablet
- Phenylephrine eye solution
- Phenylephrine injection
- Phenylephrine nasal spray
- Phenylephrine oral dissolving film
- Phenylephrine oral dissolving tablet
- Phenylephrine oral solution
- Phenylephrine oral solution, drops
- Phenylephrine oral suspension
- Phenylephrine oral tablet
- Phenylephrine; Promethazine oral syrup
- Phenylephrine rectal cream or ointment
- Phenylephrine rectal suppository
- Pseudoephedrine extended-release tablets
- Pseudoephedrine oral drops, solution
- Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
- Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Pseudoephedrine tablets