Chlorhexidine topical antiseptic
What is this medicine?
CHLORHEXIDINE (klor HEX i deen) is used as a skin wound cleanser and a general skin cleanser. This medicine is also used as a surgical hand scrub and to cleanse the skin before surgery to help prevent infections.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for external use only. Do not take by mouth. Follow the directions on the label or those given to you by your doctor or health care professional. Keep out of eyes, ears and mouth. This medicine should not be used as a preoperative skin preparation of the face or head.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be used for children for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
increased sensitivity to the sun
What may interact with this medicine?
Interactions are not expected.
What if I miss a dose?
This does not apply; this medicine is not for regular use.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Store away from direct light and heat. Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
any skin rashes or problems
an unusual or allergic reaction to chlorhexidine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
This medicine may cause severe allergic reactions. Notify a health care professional right away if you think you are having an allergic reaction.
Do not take this medicine by mouth. Avoid contact with your ears and eyes. If contact with the eyes occur, rinse the eyes well with plenty of cool tap water.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Acne in Children
- Adolescent (13 to 18 Years)
- Adolescent Health Problems and Injuries
- Periodontal Disease in Children
- Adapalene; Benzoyl Peroxide topical gel
- Adapalene skin products
- Azelaic Acid skin cream
- Azelaic Acid skin foam
- Azelaic Acid skin gel
- Benzoyl Peroxide; Clindamycin skin gel or lotion
- Benzoyl Peroxide; Erythromycin skin gel
- Benzoyl Peroxide skin cream, gel or lotion
- Benzoyl Peroxide Topical bar, wash, and creamy wash
- Chlorhexidine oral rinse
- Clindamycin capsules
- Clindamycin injection
- Clindamycin medicated pledgets
- Clindamycin oral solution
- Clindamycin Phosphate Topical Lotion
- Clindamycin skin solution or gel
- Clindamycin topical foam
- Clindamycin vaginal cream
- Clindamycin vaginal suppositories
- Doxycycline delayed-release capsules
- Doxycycline delayed-release tablets
- Doxycycline injection
- Doxycycline oral syrup or suspension
- Doxycycline oral tablets (Periodontitis)
- Doxycycline tablets or capsules
- Erythromycin chewable tablets
- Erythromycin eye ointment
- Erythromycin injection
- Erythromycin oral suspension
- Erythromycin skin lotion
- Erythromycin tablets, immediate release
- Erythromycin tablets or capsules, delayed release
- Erythromycin topical gel
- Erythromycin topical ointment
- Erythromycin topical pledget
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norgestimate tablets
- Isotretinoin capsules
- Minocycline injection
- Minocycline oral extended-release capsules or tablets
- Minocycline Periodontal Powder
- Minocycline tablets or capsules
- Salicylic Acid pads, wash
- Salicylic Acid shampoo
- Salicylic Acid topical gel, cream, lotion, solution
- Sulfacetamide eye ointment
- Sulfacetamide eye solution
- Sulfacetamide skin cream, gel, lotion, or suspension
- Sulfacetamide skin foam
- Sulfacetamide skin wash
- Sulfacetamide Sodium, Sulfur Topical foam
- Sulfacetamide; Sulfur topical skin cleanser or emulsion
- Sulfacetamide; Sulfur topical skin cream, gel, or lotion
- Sulfacetamide; sulfur topical skin foam
- Tazarotene skin cream
- Tazarotene skin cream (Cosmetic Use)
- Tazarotene skin gel
- Tazarotene topical skin foam
- Tetracycline tablets or capsules
- Tretinoin oral capsules
- Tretinoin skin cream (Cosmetic Use; Wrinkles)
- Tretinoin topical solution