Brompheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
What is this medicine?
BROMPHENIRAMINE; DEXTROMETHORPHAN; PSEUDOEPHEDRINE (brome fen IR a meen; dex troe meth OR fan; soo doe e FED rin) is a histamine blocker, cough suppressant, and a decongestant. It can help relieve cough, runny nose, stuffy nose, sneezing, and itchy or watery eyes. This medicine is used to treat allergy and cold symptoms. This medicine will not treat an infection.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Shake well before using. Use a specially marked spoon or container to measure your medicine. Household spoons are not accurate. Take this medicine with food or milk if it upsets your stomach. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take more medicine than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years old for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
Patients over 60 years old may have a stronger reaction to this medicine and need smaller doses.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
changes in vision
fast or irregular heartbeat
feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
high blood pressure
trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
loss of appetite
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
any product that contains alcohol
any stimulant drug
medicines for anxiety or sleep
medicines for chest pain, heart disease, blood pressure or heart rhythm problems
medicines for colds or allergies
medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
some herbal or nutritional supplements
some medicines for pain
some medicines for Parkinson's disease
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
blood vessel disease
difficulty passing urine
high blood pressure
other chronic disease
taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in last 14 days
an unusual or allergic reaction to brompheniramine, dextromethorphan, pseudoephedrine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. If you have trouble falling asleep at night, take the last dose of the day at least a few hours before bedtime.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. To reduce the risk of dizzy or fainting spells, do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. Alcohol may increase dizziness and drowsiness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
This medicine may cause dry eyes and blurred vision. If you wear contact lenses you may feel some discomfort. Lubricating drops may help. See your eye doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Allergies in Children
- Cold vs. Allergy in Children: How to Tell the Difference
- Common Cold in Children
- Diagnostic Tests for Allergy in Children
- Food Allergies in Children
- Immune Disorders
- Insect Stings in Children
- Pollen and Children
- Symptomatic Conditions of Allergy in Children
- Treatment for a Child's Allergy
- Types of Allergens
- Upper Respiratory Disorders
- Your Child's Allergies: Dust Mites
- Acetaminophen; Aspirin, ASA; Caffeine oral powder
- Acetaminophen; Aspirin, ASA; Caffeine tablets, caplets, or geltabs
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine Solution
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine Suspension
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine Tablet
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; PSE
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine Solution
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine Susp
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine Tablet
- Acetaminophen; Chlorpheniramine; DM; Phenylephrine Effervescent Tablet
- Acetaminophen; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine Capsule or Tablet
- Acetaminophen; Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine Oral Capsules and Tablets
- Acetaminophen; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral solution
- Acetaminophen; Phenyltoloxamine oral tablets
- Acetaminophen; Pseudoephedrine Oral Capsules or Tablets
- Brompheniramine; Carbetapentane; Phenylephrine Oral Suspension
- Brompheniramine chewable tablets
- Brompheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine oral drops
- Brompheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine oral solution
- Brompheniramine extended-release tablets or capsules
- Brompheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral liquid
- Brompheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Brompheniramine oral liquid
- Brompheniramine oral suspension
- Carbetapentane; Chlorpheniramine oral suspension
- Carbetapentane; Chlorpheniramine; Phenylephrine oral tablet
- Carbetapentane; Chlorpheniramine tablets
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin extended release capsules or tablets
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin oral solution
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin oral suspension
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin oral syrup
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral solution or syrup
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral suspension
- Carbetapentane; Guaifenesin; Phenylephrine oral tablet, extended release
- Carbetapentane; Phenylephrine Oral Suspension
- Carbetapentane; Phenylephrine; Pyrilamine oral suspension
- Carbetapentane; Phenylephrine; Pyrilamine tablets
- Carbetapentane; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan Chewable tablet
- Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan Oral Solution
- Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan Oral Tablets
- Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine oral drops
- Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine oral ER tablets
- Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine oral solution or syrup
- Chlorpheniramine, Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine oral liquid
- Chlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine Oral Suspension
- Chlorpheniramine; Dihydrocodeine; Phenylephrine oral solution, syrup
- Chlorpheniramine; Dihydrocodeine; Pseudoephedrine oral syrup and solution
- Chlorpheniramine; Guaifenesin; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine elixir
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone oral solution or suspension
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral ER capsule
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
- Chlorpheniramine; Hydrocodone; Pseudoephedrine Oral suspension
- Chlorpheniramine; Phenylephrine oral capsule or tablet, extended release
- Chlorpheniramine; Phenylephrine oral solution, syrup or liquid
- Chlorpheniramine; Pseudoephedrine capsules or ER tablets
- Chlorpheniramine; Pseudoephedrine oral solution or syrup
- Chlorpheniramine; Pseudoephedrine tablets
- Desloratadine; Pseudoephedrine Extended-Release Tablets
- Dexchlorpheniramine; Dextromethorphan; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Dexchlorpheniramine oral solution
- Dexchlorpheniramine oral tablets
- Dextromethorphan; Diphenhydramine; Phenylephrine oral suspension
- Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine; Pyrilamine oral solution or syrup
- Dextromethorphan; Phenylephrine; Pyrilamine oral suspension
- Dihydrocodeine; Guaifenesin; Pseudoephedrine oral solution and syrup
- Diphenhydramine; Hydrocodone; Phenylephrine Oral Solution
- Diphenhydramine; Hydrocodone; Phenylephrine Oral Suspension
- Echinacea oral dosage forms
- Help for a Child with a Cold
- Ibuprofen; Pseudoephedrine oral suspension
- Ibuprofen; Pseudoephedrine tablets or caplets
- Methylprednisolone Solution for Injection
- Methylprednisolone Suspension for Injection
- Methylprednisolone tablets
- Naproxen; Pseudoephedrine oral tablets
- Phenylephrine; Promethazine oral syrup
- Prednisone delayed-release tablets
- Prednisone oral solution
- Prednisone tablets
- Promethazine injection
- Promethazine oral solution or syrup
- Promethazine suppositories
- Promethazine tablets
- Triamcinolone dental paste
- Triamcinolone injection
- Triamcinolone nasal spray
- Triamcinolone oral inhaler
- Triamcinolone skin cream, ointment, lotion, or aerosol
- Triamcinolone tablets
- Zinc salts lozenges
- Zinc Salts tablets or capsules