Betamethasone; Calcipotriene skin ointment
What is this medicine?
BETAMETHASONE; CALCIPOTRIENE (bay ta METH a sone; kal si poe TRYE een) is used to treat psoriasis. It helps reduce skin redness, thickness, and scaling.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for external use only. Do not take by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Wash your hands before and after use. Apply a thin film of medicine to the affected area. Do not cover with a bandage or dressing unless your doctor or health care professional tells you to. Do not use on healthy skin or over large areas of skin. Do not get this medicine in your eyes. If you do, rinse out with plenty of cool tap water. It is important not to use more medicine than prescribed. Do not use your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be prescribed for children as young as 12 years for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
skin infection, thinning
worsening of psoriasis
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
change of skin color, lighter or darker
skin irritation, itching, redness, or stinging
What may interact with this medicine?
other steroid medicines, like hydrocortisone or prednisone
Do not use any other skin products on the same area of skin without asking your doctor or health care professional.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Keep in a well closed container. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
erythrodermic, exfoliative, or pustular psoriasis
getting light therapy for psoriasis
high levels of calcium in the blood
high levels of Vitamin D in the blood
skin infection or thinning
an unusual reaction to betamethasone, calcipotriene, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
You may need blood work done while you are taking this medicine.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse. Tell your doctor or health care professional if you are exposed to anyone with measles or chickenpox, or if you develop sores or blisters that do not heal properly.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Acitretin capsules
- Alefacept injection
- Betamethasone; Calcipotriene scalp suspension
- Betamethasone foam
- Betamethasone injection
- Betamethasone oral solution
- Betamethasone skin cream, gel, lotion, or ointment
- Betamethasone topical spray
- Calcipotriene topical solution
- Clobetasol Propionate Shampoo
- Clobetasol Propionate skin cream
- Clobetasol Propionate Topical foam
- Clobetasol Propionate Topical Gel
- Clobetasol Propionate topical lotion
- Clobetasol Propionate Topical Ointment
- Clobetasol Propionate Topical solution
- Clobetasol Propionate Topical solution, spray
- Coal tar bath solution
- Coal Tar Foam
- Coal tar shampoo
- Coal Tar skin cream, lotion, or gel
- Corticotropin, ACTH Gel for Injection
- Cortisone tablets
- Cyclosporine injection
- Cyclosporine (modified) oral solution
- Cyclosporine ophthalmic emulsion
- Cyclosporine oral solution
- Desonide skin cream, lotion, or ointment
- Desonide topical foam
- Desonide topical gel
- Desoximetasone skin cream, gel or ointment
- Desoximetasone topical spray
- Dexamethasone eye drops
- Dexamethasone eye ointment
- Dexamethasone injection
- Dexamethasone intravitreal implant
- Dexamethasone oral solution
- Dexamethasone tablets
- Diflorasone skin cream or ointment
- Efalizumab injection
- Fluocinonide skin cream, gel, ointment, or topical solution
- Flurandrenolide skin cream, ointment, or lotion
- Flurandrenolide tape
- Fluticasone cream or ointment
- Fluticasone Furoate Nasal spray
- Fluticasone inhalation aerosol
- Fluticasone inhalation powder
- Fluticasone nasal spray
- Fluticasone topical lotion
- Halobetasol skin cream, lotion, or ointment
- Hydrocortisone injection
- Hydrocortisone rectal aerosol foam
- Hydrocortisone rectal cream
- Hydrocortisone rectal enema
- Hydrocortisone skin cream, ointment, lotion, or solution
- Hydrocortisone suppositories
- Hydrocortisone tablets
- Hydrocortisone topical spray
- Infliximab injection
- Methotrexate injection
- Methotrexate subcutaneous injection
- Methotrexate tablets
- Methoxsalen capsules
- Methoxsalen solution for injection
- Methoxsalen topical lotion
- Methylprednisolone Solution for Injection
- Methylprednisolone Suspension for Injection
- Methylprednisolone tablets
- Mometasone inhalation powder
- Mometasone nasal spray
- Mometasone respiratory inhalation suspension spray
- Mometasone sinus implant
- Mometasone skin cream, lotion, or ointment
- Mycophenolate capsules
- Mycophenolate delayed-release tablets
- Mycophenolate injection
- Mycophenolate suspension
- Mycophenolate tablets
- Neoral or Gengraf cyclosporine oral capsule
- Prednisolone eye solution or suspension
- Prednisolone oral disintegrating tablet
- Prednisolone oral solution or syrup
- Prednisolone oral suspension
- Prednisolone tablets
- Prednisone delayed-release tablets
- Prednisone oral solution
- Prednisone tablets
- Salicylic Acid pads, wash
- Salicylic Acid shampoo
- Salicylic Acid topical gel, cream, lotion, solution
- Sandimmune cyclosporine oral capsules
- Tacrolimus capsules
- Tacrolimus extended-release capsules or tablets
- Tacrolimus injection
- Tacrolimus ointment
- Tazarotene skin cream
- Tazarotene skin cream (Cosmetic Use)
- Tazarotene skin gel
- Tazarotene topical skin foam
- Triamcinolone dental paste
- Triamcinolone injection
- Triamcinolone nasal spray
- Triamcinolone oral inhaler
- Triamcinolone skin cream, ointment, lotion, or aerosol
- Triamcinolone tablets
- Ustekinumab injection