Benzoyl Peroxide; Erythromycin skin gel
What is this medicine?
BENZOYL PEROXIDE; ERTHYROMYCIN (BEN zoe ill per OX ide; er ith roe MYE sin) is used on the skin to treat mild to moderate acne.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for external use only. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Before applying, wash the affected area with a gentle cleanser and pat dry. Apply enough medicine to cover the area and rub in gently. Do not apply to raw or irritated skin. Avoid getting medicine in your eyes, lips, nose, mouth, or other sensitive areas. Finish the full course prescribed by your doctor or health care professional even if you think your condition is better. Do not stop using except on the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 12 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
severe skin burning and irritation
severe skin dryness and peeling
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
increased sensitivity to the sun
mild to moderate skin burning or stinging
mild to moderate skin irritation, dryness or peeling
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not use any other acne product on the affected areas unless your health care professional tells you to. Check with your health care professional about the use of this product if you are taking an oral medicine for acne.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store in the refrigerator between 2 and 8 degrees C (36 to 46 degrees F). Do not use past the 3 month expiration date. The expiration date will be applied to the medication container by your pharmacist.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
chronic skin problem like eczema
an unusual or allergic reaction to benzoic acid, cinnamon, erythromycin, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Your acne may get worse during the first few weeks of treatment with this medication, and then start to improve. It may take 8 to 12 weeks before you see the full effect. If you do not see any improvement within 4 to 6 weeks, call your doctor or health care professional.
Do not wash areas of skin treated with this medicine for at least 1 hour after applying the medicine. If you experience excessive dry and peeling skin or skin irritation, check with your doctor or health care professional.
Do not use products that may dry the skin like medicated cosmetics, products that contain alcohol, or abrasive soaps or cleaners. Do not use other acne or skin treatment on the same area that you use this medicine unless your doctor or health care professional tells you to. If you use these together they can cause severe skin irritation.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths. This medicine may bleach hair or colored fabrics. Avoid getting this product on your clothes.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Acne in Children
- Adolescent (13 to 18 Years)
- Adolescent Health Problems and Injuries
- Adapalene; Benzoyl Peroxide topical gel
- Adapalene skin products
- Azelaic Acid skin cream
- Azelaic Acid skin foam
- Azelaic Acid skin gel
- Benzoyl Peroxide; Clindamycin skin gel or lotion
- Benzoyl Peroxide skin cream, gel or lotion
- Benzoyl Peroxide Topical bar, wash, and creamy wash
- Chlorhexidine oral rinse
- Chlorhexidine topical antiseptic
- Clindamycin capsules
- Clindamycin injection
- Clindamycin medicated pledgets
- Clindamycin oral solution
- Clindamycin Phosphate Topical Lotion
- Clindamycin skin solution or gel
- Clindamycin topical foam
- Clindamycin vaginal cream
- Clindamycin vaginal suppositories
- Doxycycline delayed-release capsules
- Doxycycline delayed-release tablets
- Doxycycline injection
- Doxycycline oral syrup or suspension
- Doxycycline oral tablets (Periodontitis)
- Doxycycline tablets or capsules
- Erythromycin chewable tablets
- Erythromycin eye ointment
- Erythromycin injection
- Erythromycin oral suspension
- Erythromycin skin lotion
- Erythromycin tablets, immediate release
- Erythromycin tablets or capsules, delayed release
- Erythromycin topical gel
- Erythromycin topical ointment
- Erythromycin topical pledget
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norgestimate tablets
- Isotretinoin capsules
- Minocycline injection
- Minocycline oral extended-release capsules or tablets
- Minocycline Periodontal Powder
- Minocycline tablets or capsules
- Salicylic Acid pads, wash
- Salicylic Acid shampoo
- Salicylic Acid topical gel, cream, lotion, solution
- Sulfacetamide eye ointment
- Sulfacetamide eye solution
- Sulfacetamide skin cream, gel, lotion, or suspension
- Sulfacetamide skin foam
- Sulfacetamide skin wash
- Sulfacetamide Sodium, Sulfur Topical foam
- Sulfacetamide; Sulfur topical skin cleanser or emulsion
- Sulfacetamide; Sulfur topical skin cream, gel, or lotion
- Sulfacetamide; sulfur topical skin foam
- Tazarotene skin cream
- Tazarotene skin cream (Cosmetic Use)
- Tazarotene skin gel
- Tazarotene topical skin foam
- Tetracycline tablets or capsules
- Tretinoin oral capsules
- Tretinoin skin cream (Cosmetic Use; Wrinkles)
- Tretinoin topical solution