Benzocaine Rectal ointment
What is this medicine?
BENZOCAINE (BEN zoe kane) causes loss of feeling in the skin. It is used to treat the itching, swelling, and pain of hemorrhoids.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for external use only. Do not take by mouth. Follow the directions on the label or those given to you by your doctor or health care professional. Do not get this medicine in your eyes. If you do, rinse out with plenty of cool tap water. Do not put this medicine inside the rectum. Do not use this medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be used on children as young as 12 years of age, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
dizziness or drowsiness
fast or slow heartbeat
restlessness, nervousness, anxiety
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
redness, swelling, or pain
What may interact with this medicine?
sulfonamides like sulfacetamide, sulfamethoxazole, sulfisoxazole, and others
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
hemorrhoids inside the rectum
an unusual or allergic reaction to benzocaine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Stop using this medicine if your symptoms do not get better in 7 days or if they get worse. Tell your doctor right away if you have any rectal bleeding.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Toothache (Pulpitis) in Children
- Acetaminophen; Aspirin, ASA; Caffeine oral powder
- Acetaminophen; Aspirin, ASA; Caffeine tablets, caplets, or geltabs
- Acetaminophen biphasic or extended-release tablets
- Acetaminophen chewable tablets
- Acetaminophen effervescent tablets
- Acetaminophen oral dissolving tablet
- Acetaminophen oral infant drops
- Acetaminophen oral solution
- Acetaminophen oral suspension
- Acetaminophen rectal suppositories
- Acetaminophen solution for injection
- Acetaminophen tablets or caplets
- Aloe Vera, Collagen, Hyaluronic Acid, Lidocaine Topical gel
- Antipyrine; Benzocaine ear solution
- Antipyrine; Benzocaine; U-Polycosanol 410 ear drops
- Benzocaine ear solution
- Benzocaine mouth gel, ointment, solution, or dental paste
- Benzocaine Oral Lozenges
- Benzocaine skin cream, ointment, solution, or spray
- Cocaine topical solution or spray
- Ear Infection Quiz
- Hyaluronidase bovine injection
- Hyaluronidase ovine injection
- Ibuprofen chewable tablets
- Ibuprofen injection
- Ibuprofen oral drops
- Ibuprofen oral suspension
- Ibuprofen tablets and capsules
- Ketoprofen extended-release capsules
- Ketoprofen tablets or capsules
- Lidocaine dermal patch
- Lidocaine injection
- Lidocaine jelly
- Lidocaine ophthalmic gel
- Lidocaine oral solution
- Lidocaine; Prilocaine cream
- Lidocaine; Prilocaine peridontal gel
- Lidocaine skin cream or ointment
- Lidocaine; Tetracaine dermal patches
- Lidocaine Topical lotion
- Lidocaine Topical solution or spray
- Naproxen and naproxen sodium oral immediate-release tablets
- Naproxen delayed-release tablets
- Naproxen oral suspension
- Naproxen Sodium oral tablet, extended-release
- Tetracaine eye solution
- Tetracaine skin gel, solution, or cream