Benzocaine Oral Lozenges
What is this medicine?
BENZOCAINE (BEN zoe kane) causes loss of feeling on the skin and in the mouth. It is used to treat mouth and throat pain.
How should I use this medicine?
Dissolve this medicine slowly and completely in the mouth. Do not cut, crush or chew this medicine. Wash your hands before and after using this medicine. Follow the directions on the label or those given to you by your doctor or health care professional. Do not use this medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
dizziness or drowsiness
fast or slow heartbeat
restlessness, nervousness, anxiety
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
redness, swelling, or pain
What may interact with this medicine?
sulfonamides like sulfacetamide, sulfamethoxazole, sulfisoxazole, and others
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
mouth sores or infection
an unusual or allergic reaction to benzocaine, para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA), other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
This medicine is not for long-term use. Do not use for longer than directed by your doctor or health care professional. Contact your doctor or health care professional if your condition does not start to get better within a few days or if you notice redness, itching or swelling.
The affected area of your mouth will be numb. Try to avoid injury to that area. To avoid biting the tongue or cheek, or difficulty swallowing, do not chew gum or food until the numbness wears off.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Toothache (Pulpitis) in Children
- Acetaminophen; Aspirin, ASA; Caffeine oral powder
- Acetaminophen; Aspirin, ASA; Caffeine tablets, caplets, or geltabs
- Acetaminophen biphasic or extended-release tablets
- Acetaminophen chewable tablets
- Acetaminophen effervescent tablets
- Acetaminophen oral dissolving tablet
- Acetaminophen oral infant drops
- Acetaminophen oral solution
- Acetaminophen oral suspension
- Acetaminophen rectal suppositories
- Acetaminophen solution for injection
- Acetaminophen tablets or caplets
- Aloe Vera, Collagen, Hyaluronic Acid, Lidocaine Topical gel
- Antipyrine; Benzocaine ear solution
- Antipyrine; Benzocaine; U-Polycosanol 410 ear drops
- Benzocaine ear solution
- Benzocaine mouth gel, ointment, solution, or dental paste
- Benzocaine Rectal ointment
- Benzocaine skin cream, ointment, solution, or spray
- Cocaine topical solution or spray
- Ear Infection Quiz
- Hyaluronidase bovine injection
- Hyaluronidase ovine injection
- Ibuprofen chewable tablets
- Ibuprofen injection
- Ibuprofen oral drops
- Ibuprofen oral suspension
- Ibuprofen tablets and capsules
- Ketoprofen extended-release capsules
- Ketoprofen tablets or capsules
- Lidocaine dermal patch
- Lidocaine injection
- Lidocaine jelly
- Lidocaine ophthalmic gel
- Lidocaine oral solution
- Lidocaine; Prilocaine cream
- Lidocaine; Prilocaine peridontal gel
- Lidocaine skin cream or ointment
- Lidocaine; Tetracaine dermal patches
- Lidocaine Topical lotion
- Lidocaine Topical solution or spray
- Naproxen and naproxen sodium oral immediate-release tablets
- Naproxen delayed-release tablets
- Naproxen oral suspension
- Naproxen Sodium oral tablet, extended-release
- Tetracaine eye solution
- Tetracaine skin gel, solution, or cream