Benzocaine ear solution
What is this medicine?
BENZOCAINE (BEN zoe kane) relieves minor ear pain and itching.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is only for use in the outer ear canal. Do not take by mouth. Follow the directions carefully. Wash hands before and after use. Lie on your side or tilt head so that the ear is up. Pull the earlobe up and back (for adults), or down and back (for children), and instill the prescribed number of drops. Avoid touching the ear with the dropper tip. Keep head tilted for about 5 minutes to help the drops stay in the ear canal. A small piece of cotton may be gently inserted at the ear opening to prevent the solution from running out. Replace the cotton at least once a day. Do not use more, or more often than recommended.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
dizziness or drowsiness
What may interact with this medicine?
Interactions are not expected. Do not use any other ear products without asking your doctor or health care professional.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 25 degrees C (59 and 77 degrees F). Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
an unusual or allergic reaction to benzocaine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
This medicine is not for long-term use. Do not use for more than one week without checking with your doctor or health care professional. Do not use if there is any discharge from the ear. Contact your doctor or health care professional if your condition does not start to get better within a few days or if you notice burning, redness, itching or swelling.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Toothache (Pulpitis) in Children
- Acetaminophen; Aspirin, ASA; Caffeine oral powder
- Acetaminophen; Aspirin, ASA; Caffeine tablets, caplets, or geltabs
- Acetaminophen biphasic or extended-release tablets
- Acetaminophen chewable tablets
- Acetaminophen effervescent tablets
- Acetaminophen oral dissolving tablet
- Acetaminophen oral infant drops
- Acetaminophen oral solution
- Acetaminophen oral suspension
- Acetaminophen rectal suppositories
- Acetaminophen solution for injection
- Acetaminophen tablets or caplets
- Aloe Vera, Collagen, Hyaluronic Acid, Lidocaine Topical gel
- Antipyrine; Benzocaine ear solution
- Antipyrine; Benzocaine; U-Polycosanol 410 ear drops
- Benzocaine mouth gel, ointment, solution, or dental paste
- Benzocaine Oral Lozenges
- Benzocaine Rectal ointment
- Benzocaine skin cream, ointment, solution, or spray
- Cocaine topical solution or spray
- Ear Infection Quiz
- Hyaluronidase bovine injection
- Hyaluronidase ovine injection
- Ibuprofen chewable tablets
- Ibuprofen injection
- Ibuprofen oral drops
- Ibuprofen oral suspension
- Ibuprofen tablets and capsules
- Ketoprofen extended-release capsules
- Ketoprofen tablets or capsules
- Lidocaine dermal patch
- Lidocaine injection
- Lidocaine jelly
- Lidocaine ophthalmic gel
- Lidocaine oral solution
- Lidocaine; Prilocaine cream
- Lidocaine; Prilocaine peridontal gel
- Lidocaine skin cream or ointment
- Lidocaine; Tetracaine dermal patches
- Lidocaine Topical lotion
- Lidocaine Topical solution or spray
- Naproxen and naproxen sodium oral immediate-release tablets
- Naproxen delayed-release tablets
- Naproxen oral suspension
- Naproxen Sodium oral tablet, extended-release
- Tetracaine eye solution
- Tetracaine skin gel, solution, or cream