Belladonna Alkaloids; Ergotamine; Phenobarbital tablets
What is this medicine?
BELLADONNA ALKALOIDS; ERGOTAMINE; PHENOBARBITAL (bell a DON a; er GOT a meen; fee noe BAR bi tal) is a combination of several different drugs. It is used to help prevent headaches when it is taken on a regular basis. The medicine will not treat a headache. This drug may also be used to treat menopause symptoms.
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not crush, chew, or cut the tablets. If this medicine upsets your stomach, you may take it with food but not with grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
Patients over 65 years old may have a stronger reaction and need a smaller dose.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
changes in vision
chest pain or tightness
cold hands or feet
decrease in the amount of urine passed
redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
tingling, pain or numbness in feet, arms, or hands
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
antibiotics like erythromycin, clarithromycin, and troleandomycin
medicines for fungal infections like itraconazole, voriconazole, posaconazole, and ketoconazole
medicines for migraine headache like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan
stimulant type medicines
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
female hormones, like estrogens or progestins and birth control pills
medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin
phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children. This medicine can be abused. Keep your medicine in a safe place to protect it from theft. Do not share this medicine with anyone. Selling or giving away this medicine is dangerous and against the law.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep tightly closed and protect from light and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
high blood pressure
peripheral vascular disease
an unusual or allergic reaction to belladonna, ergotamine, phenobarbital, other medicines, lactose, tartrazine dye, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
If you take this medicine to prevent headaches, check with your doctor if you do not get relief from this medicine.
Avoid extreme heat or cold. This medicine can stop you sweating and increase your body temperature. It can also make your body unable to stand extreme cold. Avoid hot baths and saunas. Be careful about exercising especially in hot weather. Dress warmly in cold weather and do not stay out long in the cold.
Stay out of bright light and wear sunglasses if this medicine makes your eyes more sensitive to light.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control. Also, immediately call your doctor if you become pregnant. You must not take this medicine if you are pregnant.
This medicine may cause dry eyes and blurred vision. If you wear contact lenses you may feel some discomfort. Lubricating drops may help. See your eye doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Migraine Headaches During Pregnancy
- Neurological Conditions and Pregnancy
- Pregnancy and Medical Conditions
- Acetaminophen; Aspirin, ASA; Caffeine oral powder
- Acetaminophen; Aspirin, ASA; Caffeine tablets, caplets, or geltabs
- Acetaminophen; Butalbital; Caffeine; Codeine capsules
- Acetaminophen; Butalbital; Caffeine Oral solution
- Acetaminophen; Butalbital; Caffeine tablets or capsules
- Acetaminophen; Butalbital tablets or capsules
- Almotriptan tablets
- Aspirin, ASA; Butalbital; Caffeine; Codeine capsules
- Aspirin, ASA; Butalbital; Caffeine tablets and capsules
- Atenolol injection
- Atenolol tablets
- Black Cohosh, Cimicifuga racemosa oral dosage forms
- Butorphanol injection
- Butorphanol nasal spray
- Caffeine; Ergotamine rectal suppositories
- Caffeine; Ergotamine tablets
- Co-Enzyme Q10 oral dosage forms
- Conjugated Estrogens injection
- Conjugated Estrogens; Medroxyprogesterone tablets
- Conjugated Estrogens tablets
- Conjugated Estrogens vaginal cream
- Dihydroergotamine injection
- Dihydroergotamine nasal spray
- Drospirenone; Estradiol oral tablet
- Eletriptan tablets
- Ergotamine sublingual tablets
- Esterified Estrogens; Methyltestosterone tablets
- Esterified Estrogens tablets
- Estradiol acetate vaginal ring (Femring)
- Estradiol injection
- Estradiol; Levonorgestrel skin patches
- Estradiol; Norethindrone Acetate tablets
- Estradiol; Norethindrone skin patches
- Estradiol; Norgestimate tablets
- Estradiol skin patches
- Estradiol tablets
- Estradiol topical emulsion
- Estradiol topical gel
- Estradiol topical spray
- Estradiol vaginal cream
- Estradiol vaginal ring (Estring)
- Estradiol vaginal tablets
- Estropipate tablets
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone acetate chew tab; EE tab; Iron tab
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone Acetate (estrogen replacement)
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone Acetate; Ferrous fumarate chew tabs (contraception)
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norethindrone Acetate tablets (contraception)
- Frovatriptan tablets
- Kids' Headaches: The Diagnosis Is Difficult
- Metoprolol extended-release tablets
- Metoprolol injection
- Metoprolol tablets
- Nadolol tablets
- Naproxen and naproxen sodium oral immediate-release tablets
- Naproxen delayed-release tablets
- Naproxen oral suspension
- Naproxen Sodium oral tablet, extended-release
- Naproxen; Sumatriptan tablets
- Naratriptan tablets
- Nimodipine capsules
- Nimodipine oral solution
- Propranolol extended-release capsules
- Propranolol injection
- Propranolol oral solution
- Propranolol tablets
- Rizatriptan disintegrating tablets
- Rizatriptan tablets
- Soy Isoflavones oral dosage forms
- Sumatriptan injection
- Sumatriptan nasal powder
- Sumatriptan nasal spray
- Sumatriptan tablets
- Synthetic Conjugated Estrogens (A) oral tablet
- Synthetic Conjugated Estrogens (B) oral tablet
- Timolol eye gel-forming solution
- Timolol eye solution
- Timolol tablets
- Valproic Acid, Divalproex Sodium capsules
- Valproic Acid, Divalproex Sodium delayed or extended-release tablets
- Valproic Acid, Divalproex Sodium delayed release capsules
- Valproic Acid, Divalproex Sodium injection
- Valproic Acid, Divalproex Sodium oral syrup
- Valproic Acid, Divalproex Sodium sprinkle capsule
- Zolmitriptan disintegrating tablets
- Zolmitriptan Nasal Spray
- Zolmitriptan tablets