Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Carbonate chewable tablets
What is this medicine?
ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE; MAGNESIUM CARBONATE (a LOO mi num hye DROX ide; mag NEE zee um KAR bon ate) is an antacid. It is used to relieve the symptoms of indigestion, heartburn, or gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD).
How should I use this medicine?
Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the label. Chew the tablets well so that foam forms in your mouth before swallowing. Do not suck on or crush the tablets. The protective foam will not form if you do this. After taking this medicine, drink a full glass of water. Antacids are usually taken after meals and at bedtime, or as directed by your doctor or health care professional. You should remain in an upright position for 1 to 2 hours after taking this medicine. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be used in children for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
bone or joint aches and pains
confusion or irritability
loss of appetite
unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What may interact with this medicine?
medicines for fungal infections like itraconazole and ketoconazole
medicines for osteoporosis like alendronate, etidronate, risedronate and tiludronate
medicines for seizures like ethotoin and phenytoin
phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
thyroid hormones like levothyroxine
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
bowel, intestinal, or stomach disease
on a sodium (salt) restricted diet
stomach bleeding or obstruction
an unusual or allergic reaction to aluminum hydroxide, magnesium carbonate or other antacids, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. Do not treat yourself for stomach problems with this medicine for more than 2 weeks. See a doctor if you have black tarry stools, rectal bleeding, or if you feel unusually tired. Do not change to another antacid product without advice.
If you are taking other medicines, leave an interval of at least 2 hours before or after taking this medicine.
To help reduce constipation, drink several glasses of water a day.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Digestive Disorders
- Gastroesophageal Reflux in Children
- GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) in Children
- Stomach and Duodenal Ulcers in Children
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Carbonate oral suspension
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide; Simethicone oral suspension
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide; Simethicone tablets
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Hydroxide tablets
- Aluminum Hydroxide; Magnesium Trisilicate chewable tablets
- Aluminum hydroxide oral suspension
- Bismuth Subsalicylate chewable tablets
- Bismuth Subsalicylate oral liquid
- Bismuth Subsalicylate tablets
- Calcium Carbonate oral suspension
- Calcium Salts oral tablets
- Chlordiazepoxide; Clidinium capsules
- Cimetidine injection
- Cimetidine oral liquid
- Cimetidine tablets
- Cisapride oral suspension
- Cisapride tablets
- Common Discomforts During Pregnancy
- Dexlansoprazole capsules
- Esomeprazole capsules
- Esomeprazole Injection
- Esomeprazole Powder for Oral suspension
- Famotidine chewable tablet
- Famotidine injection
- Famotidine oral suspension
- Famotidine tablets or gelcaps
- Glycopyrrolate inhalation powder
- Glycopyrrolate oral solution
- Glycopyrrolate tablets
- Hyoscyamine biphasic tablets or sustained-release capsules or tablets
- Hyoscyamine elixir or solution
- Hyoscyamine infant drops
- Hyoscyamine injection
- Hyoscyamine oral disintegrating tablets
- Hyoscyamine sublingual tablet
- Hyoscyamine tablets
- Lansoprazole capsules
- Lansoprazole disintegrating tablets
- Lansoprazole Injection
- Lansoprazole oral suspension
- Magaldrate Oral Suspension
- Magnesium Hydroxide chewable tablets
- Magnesium Hydroxide oral suspension
- Methscopolamine tablets
- Metoclopramide injection
- Metoclopramide oral disintegrating tablet
- Metoclopramide oral solution
- Metoclopramide tablets
- Nizatidine capsules
- Nizatidine oral solution
- Nizatidine tablets
- Omeprazole capsules (sprinkle caps) - Rx
- Omeprazole Magnesium Oral capsule, gastro-resistant
- Omeprazole; Sodium Bicarbonate oral capsule
- Omeprazole; Sodium Bicarbonate oral powder for suspension
- Omeprazole suspension
- Omeprazole tablets (OTC)
- Pantoprazole injection
- Pantoprazole oral suspension
- Pantoprazole tablets
- Propantheline tablets
- Rabeprazole delayed-release capsules
- Rabeprazole delayed-release tablets
- Ranitidine effervescent tablets
- Ranitidine injection
- Ranitidine oral syrup
- Ranitidine tablets or capsules
- Sodium Bicarbonate granules for oral solution (Rx)
- Sodium Bicarbonate tablets
- Sucralfate oral suspension
- Sucralfate tablets