Adapalene skin products
What is this medicine?
ADAPALENE (a DAP a leen) is applied to the skin to treat mild to moderate acne.
How should I use this medicine?
This medicine is for external use only, do not take by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Make sure the skin is clean and dry. Apply just enough to cover the affected area. Rub in gently. Do not get in the eyes, inside the nose, on wounds, or any other sensitive areas of skin.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
severe burning, reddening, crusting, or swelling of the treated areas
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
inflamed, stinging, and irritated skin
skin that peels after a few days of use
What may interact with this medicine?
topical antibiotics like clindamycin or erythromycin
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, skip that dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not use extra doses, or use for a longer period of time than directed by your doctor or health care professional.
Where should I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
an unusual or allergic reaction to adapalene, vitamin A, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Your acne may get worse at first, and then should start to get better. It may take 2 to 12 weeks before you see the full effect.
Do not wash your face more than 3 times a day unless your doctor or health care professional tells you to. Do not use products that may dry the skin like medicated cosmetics, products that contain alcohol, or abrasive soaps or cleaners. Do not use other acne or skin treatment on the same area that you use this medicine unless your doctor or health care professional tells you to. If you use these together they can cause severe skin irritation.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Online Medical Reviewer:
Date Last Reviewed: Unavailable
NOTE:This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider. Copyright© 2019 Elsevier
- Acne in Children
- Adolescent (13 to 18 Years)
- Adolescent Health Problems and Injuries
- Adapalene; Benzoyl Peroxide topical gel
- Azelaic Acid skin cream
- Azelaic Acid skin foam
- Azelaic Acid skin gel
- Benzoyl Peroxide; Clindamycin skin gel or lotion
- Benzoyl Peroxide; Erythromycin skin gel
- Benzoyl Peroxide skin cream, gel or lotion
- Benzoyl Peroxide Topical bar, wash, and creamy wash
- Chlorhexidine oral rinse
- Chlorhexidine topical antiseptic
- Clindamycin capsules
- Clindamycin injection
- Clindamycin medicated pledgets
- Clindamycin oral solution
- Clindamycin Phosphate Topical Lotion
- Clindamycin skin solution or gel
- Clindamycin topical foam
- Clindamycin vaginal cream
- Clindamycin vaginal suppositories
- Doxycycline delayed-release capsules
- Doxycycline delayed-release tablets
- Doxycycline injection
- Doxycycline oral syrup or suspension
- Doxycycline oral tablets (Periodontitis)
- Doxycycline tablets or capsules
- Erythromycin chewable tablets
- Erythromycin eye ointment
- Erythromycin injection
- Erythromycin oral suspension
- Erythromycin skin lotion
- Erythromycin tablets, immediate release
- Erythromycin tablets or capsules, delayed release
- Erythromycin topical gel
- Erythromycin topical ointment
- Erythromycin topical pledget
- Ethinyl Estradiol; Norgestimate tablets
- Isotretinoin capsules
- Minocycline injection
- Minocycline oral extended-release capsules or tablets
- Minocycline Periodontal Powder
- Minocycline tablets or capsules
- Salicylic Acid pads, wash
- Salicylic Acid shampoo
- Salicylic Acid topical gel, cream, lotion, solution
- Sulfacetamide eye ointment
- Sulfacetamide eye solution
- Sulfacetamide skin cream, gel, lotion, or suspension
- Sulfacetamide skin foam
- Sulfacetamide skin wash
- Sulfacetamide Sodium, Sulfur Topical foam
- Sulfacetamide; Sulfur topical skin cleanser or emulsion
- Sulfacetamide; Sulfur topical skin cream, gel, or lotion
- Sulfacetamide; sulfur topical skin foam
- Tazarotene skin cream
- Tazarotene skin cream (Cosmetic Use)
- Tazarotene skin gel
- Tazarotene topical skin foam
- Tetracycline tablets or capsules
- Tretinoin oral capsules
- Tretinoin skin cream (Cosmetic Use; Wrinkles)
- Tretinoin topical solution