Overview of Adolescent Health Problems
Long-term or chronic health problems during the teen years can often make physical and emotional development more complicated.
Illness, injury, medical treatments, hospitalization, and surgeries linked to chronic illness can cause a teen to worry even more about how they look. They can also interfere with a teen's desire to be independent. Chronic illness also affects a teen's relationships with parents and friends. A teen with a chronic health issue may struggle to cope with illness and response to treatment.
Adolescent medicine focuses on the health needs of the teen's illness, condition, or injury. Healthcare providers in this field expect and assess developmental complications linked to the specific health problem. These providers also help teens and their families come up with strategies to deal with chronic health issues.
Online Medical Reviewer: Amy Finke RN BSNLiora C Adler MDMaryann Foley
Date Last Reviewed: 8/1/2018
© 2000-2019 The StayWell Company, LLC. 800 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
- Adolescent (13 to 18 Years)
- Teens and Diabetes Mellitus
- Amenorrhea in Teens
- Anxiety Disorders in Children
- Breast Conditions in Young Women
- Ewing Sarcoma
- Female Growth and Development
- Female Physical Development
- Gynecological and Menstrual Conditions
- Healthy Eating During Adolescence
- High Blood Pressure in Children and Teens
- Home Page - Adolescent Medicine
- Major Depression in Teens
- Male Growth and Development
- Menstrual Cramps (Dysmenorrhea) in Teens
- Menstrual Disorders
- Mood Disorders in Children and Adolescents
- Oral Health
- Osteosarcoma (Osteogenic Sarcoma)
- Pap Test for Adolescents
- Schizophrenia in Children
- The Growing Child- Teenager (13 to 18 Years)
- Topic Index - Adolescent Medicine
- Helping Your Teen Manage Asthma
- Put Peer Pressure in Its Place
- Understanding the Teen Brain