Poison Prevention :: Nationwide Children's Hospital

Helping Hand Logo

 

Poison Prevention

What to Do If You Think Someone is Poisoned

Do NOT make the poisoned person throw up!

Image of Hotline

Call the Poison Center

Direct Phone Line: 1-800-222-1222

T.T.Y: 866-688-0088

  • Fast, free, private medical help!
  • Always open - every day, 24 hours a day.
  • Pharmacists and nurses will help you.

If the person has collapsed or stopped breathing, call 911 right away.

Why Young Children Get into Things

Children are always changing and growing. They are naturally curious. They are often “getting into things.” They learn by doing what they see others do. When they see someone using cleaner, smoking cigarettes, taking medicine, or drinking alcohol, they copy what they see. Children grow fast - products considered safe from the reach of a 10-month-old child may become easy to reach just a few months later. Make sure that other places your child visits are also safe from poisons. Ask relatives, friends, and baby sitters to Be Poison Smart!® and poison-proof their homes too.

How to “Be Poison Smart!®”

Look for “pretty poisons,” or look-alike products. Things that look like something good to eat or drink to a child can be harmful if tasted, swallowed, or gotten on the skin or in the eyes. Every time you take something home, ask yourself:

  • Can this product be a “pretty poison” (look-alike)?
  • Is it medicine or vitamins?
  • Does it have alcohol in it?
  • Does it contain gasoline, insecticides or pesticides?

If the answer is “yes” to any of the above questions, store the product out of sight and out of the reach of children!

Storing Products:

Image of pores

Use the lower shelves to store harmless items. Leave space for poisons in high cabinets.

Containers:

Always use products with child-resistant caps. But remember – the caps are not childproof.
Keep products in their original, labeled containers. Read the entire label before every use.

Medicines:

Read more about this in Helping Hand V-157: Medication Safety.

  • Never call medicine "candy."
  • Don’t take your medicine in front of kids.
  • Never give medicine in the dark.
  • Keep track of all the medicine your child is taking. Ask the nurses for Helping Hand: HH-V-1, Medication Record Form.
  • Always read the label before giving a medicine. Make sure it is for the right child.
  • Always use the measuring tool that came with the medicine.
  • If your child cannot take his or her medicine on time, always check with the doctor or call the poison center to make sure it is ok to give the medicine before the next dose.
  • Always give the full dose of medicine. Make sure your child finishes the full length of antibiotics as it was prescribed, even if he or she is feeling better.
  • Do not keep old medicine. Do not hold on to medicine that was not finished or no longer can be used. Ask your child’s doctor or nurse how to get rid of old medicine safely. Ask for Helping Hand HH-V-228, Proper Disposal of Medicine.

Plants:

Know the names of all your plants, both indoors and out. To find out the plant names, take a branch or leaf to your local plant store. Keep poisonous plants out of children’s reach.

How to Poison-Proof Your Home

Look for “pretty poisons” (look-alikes) in every room in your home. Check all cabinets, cupboards, drawers and shelves. Remove and store all poisonous products in cabinets up high or in locked cupboards. Use this guide as a checklist to poison-proof your home:

Image of pores

Like us on Facebook to receive more information and check out the
Central Ohio Poison Center’s website.

Poison Prevention (PDF)

HH-IV-30 6/81, Revised 2/14 Copyright 1981, Nationwide Children’s Hospital

Nationwide Children's Hospital
700 Children's Drive Columbus, Ohio 43205 614.722.2000