(From the February 2015 Issue of MedStat)
The Central Ohio Poison Center at Nationwide Children’s cautions that the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can resemble the flu. Because of the increased number of flu cases nationally, there is concern that those who have been exposed to carbon monoxide may mistake their ailments and symptoms for the flu. Mild signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning that can appear to be the flu include vomiting, dizziness, headache and confusion. More serious symptoms such as loss of consciousness are common. Loss of life or permanent disability can also occur. If there is suspicion of carbon monoxide poisoning, leave the site of exposure immediately and call the Central Ohio Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222.