(From the Winter 2013 issue of Everything Matters: In Patient Care)
Jade Wilson, MBA, MT (ASCP)
Manager, Operations/Compliance/POCT, ChildLab®, A Division of Nationwide Children's Hospital
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, also known as ChildLab®, is one of the country’s leading pediatric reference labs. Annually, ChildLab® performs more than 2.5 million tests. Approximately 60 percent of ChildLab®’s annual volume comes from outpatient testing from pediatric or family practice offices throughout the state, including Nationwide Children’s outpatient facilities. ChildLab® also performs unique testing for other children’s hospitals within the United States, Canada, Brazil and England.
Many pediatricians have thoughtfully selected ChildLab® as their laboratory of choice for the follow reasons:
· Pediatric focus: ChildLab® laboratory service centers are designed to provide the best pediatric service available. ChildLab® staff is highly skilled at collecting pediatric specimen.
· Smaller sample requirements: ChildLab® instruments are geared for smaller sample sizes. Specimen collection expertise combined with smaller sample requirements allow for a less traumatic experience for children.
· Accuracy: ChildLab® tests children’s specimens. ChildLab® test reports provide physicians with better information on how children’s results compare to similar-aged children because ChildLab® has proprietary pediatric reference ranges developed in its own laboratory.
· Knowledge: MDs and PhDs specializing in pediatric care are available for consultation.
· Convenience: ChildLab® offers laboratory services at 20 locations throughout Ohio.
Since 70 percent of all health care decisions are based on laboratory results, it is crucial to have confidence in the lab you choose. ChildLab® works with health care providers to develop a customized approach to meet the specific needs of their patients including:
· A comprehensive test menu
· 24-hour access to medical and doctoral staff, including pediatric pathologists, pediatric laboratory scientists, test processing and client service representatives
· Online test ordering and results
· Direct courier services
· Convenient offsite locations with ample parking and highway access
Ohio ChildLab® Locations:
Canal Winchester Dublin (2 sites) East Columbus
Grove City Hilliard Canton
NCH Outpatient Lab Unity (Columbus) Westerville
Parma Westlake Mason
Ironton Lima Mansfield
Marion Newark Springfield
ChildLab® is made up of 24 specialized laboratories. Here is a quick summary of ChildLab® services.
· Anatomic Pathology provides vital diagnosis and consultation using biopsied tissue or surgical resections. Areas of expertise include Cardiac Pathology, GI Pathology, Lymph Node and Bone Marrow Pathology, Neuropathology, Renal Pathology, Surgical Pathology, Transplant Pathology, Electron Microscopy, Perinatal and Pediatric Autopsy Pathology.
· Core Laboratory is responsible for rapid service for routine chemistry, urine and fluid analysis, hematology, coagulation, and blood gases. Complex testing includes Cellular Immunology, Blood Lead Testing, Sweat Chlorides, Drug Testing, Endocrine Testing and Metabolic Testing.
· Cytogenetics/Molecular Genetics are on the forefront of diagnosing pediatric inherited diseases. They analyze chromosomes via fluorescent in-vitro hybridization (FISH), Microarray, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) techniques, in addition to classical karyotyping.
· Clinical Microbiology and Immunoserology cultures and tests samples for infectious diseases. They have developed new molecular testing (PCR) that can detect specific organisms in less than half the time of traditional methods. This laboratory also provides diagnostic testing for Celiac and Autoimmune diseases. Immunoserology now does allergy testing looking at over 50 allergens.
· Laboratory Service Centers provide routine chemistry, hematology and urinalysis testing at five of the twenty sites throughout the state. They also do many Point of Care tests. All of the sites have highly trained technologists and phlebotomists who collect blood by venipuncture or capillary puncture.
· Transfusion Services is responsible for the procurement, processing and distribution of all blood products given to patients. ChildLab® performs testing to ensure that all blood products are compatible for the patient, including blood typing (ABO and RH), antibody screening and extensive workups.
· Point of Care Testing serves as the oversight of all near-patient testing including the evaluation of appropriateness and review for approval, monitoring for process compliance and personnel competency, and quality control, including instrument functionality.
· In addition to these testing sections, ChildLab® also supports both the laboratory and customers’ technology needs with ChildLab® Laboratory information services staff. ChildLab® Laboratory administrative staff help to support laboratory compliance and quality assurance processes as well as the Pediatric Pathology Fellowship Program.
· In 2003, ChildLab® placed its first Laboratory Service Center. ChildLab® opened its 21st location in the fall of 2012.
· There are more than 350 employees within ChildLab®.
· Over 2,500 patients are tested in ChildLab® on a daily basis.
Visit ChildLab.com for more information.